Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
147 user(s) are online (92 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 147

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

high speed stammer
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Got the 51 out of cold storage today, now that Spring has finally hit Montana. The car is running great, lots of power and pickup until it starts getting warmed up well. Then when you hit the throttle it sputters and almost dies until you back off on the throttle just a bit, then it smooths out. The trick is that accelerating gradually won't cause it, but heavy acceleration will. The carb was rebuilt two years ago (about 500 miles or so), but the problem has been with me for longer than that. I'm guessing that the carb has some problems, or maybe the fuel pump. Any suggestions?

Posted on: 2015/5/22 19:27
 Top  Print 

Re: high speed stammer
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I can think of a few possibilities but for a starter is the distributor vacuum advance functioning?

Posted on: 2015/5/22 19:57
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
No - if I remember correctly, the way to test it is to remove the copper line and attach a hand operated vacuum pump to it and see if the arm moves. Is this correct?
thanks

Posted on: 2015/5/22 20:01
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
That would be a good test, but you could try something even more fundamental - just apply a vacuum with your mouth and see if it holds the vacuum.

Posted on: 2015/5/22 20:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Also look down the carburetor (with the engine not running) Choke open all the way and work the linkage to the carburetor and you should see two streams of gas with each full movement of the linkage. (Do it fast like when you stomp on the gas pedal for best results.)
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/23 7:06
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Tried the suction test on the vacuum advance and it failed. Looks like I'll be sending it off for repairs. Side question - I have a spare off a 50 288; anyone know if it is the same as the 51? I'm thinking about having them both done at the same time, so I'll have a spare.

Posted on: 2015/5/23 19:39
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If they are both from the same manufacturer, then probably interchangeable. The difference comes with the springs and shims used inside the chamber to regulate the action. Others may know more about this.

Instead of having yours rebuilt why not just exchange them for already rebuilt units? Max, Terrill, Kanter, and others have rebuilt units for exchange.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/5/24 13:00
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Well, did some investigation this afternoon. A 1950 Delco distributor(model 1110811 9K20) has a grease cup on the side, a 51 doesn't. The 50 vacuum advance is a model 1116041, with the number 344 stamped on the arm. The 51 is a 1116060, with the number 158 stamped on the arm. The earlier model also has a right angle brass fitting on it. The fitting has restrictive ports in it. On the 51 version, the restrictions are in the body, and isn't a right angle. End of story, have to get a new/rebuilt one before the old girl will run right.

I did run a vacuum test on it again, using a hand pump. Absolutely dead.
Bummer

Posted on: 2015/5/25 16:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
FYI - Terrill Machine, 1000 County Rd 445, De Leon TX 76444 rebuilds the advances for $75. Sending it off today. They don't advertise in Hemmings anymore, but I've bought lots of engine parts and services from them back when I lived in Texas.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 9:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I sent the vacuum advance off to Terrill this morning for rebuilding, and put the 1950 version on as a temporary fix, so I can at least move the car. Lo and behold, it seems to work fine. I'll take it out for a long test drive later this week.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 14:34
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved