Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
132 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 129

acolds, CarFreak, Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Engine Noises - 1952 Packard Touring Sedan
Just popping in
Just popping in

Jay M
See User information
I have taken a video of the engine running for the first time on non-ethanol gas athttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f7ImCdmCrVQ&feature=em-upload_owner I am a newbie to cars in general and older cars for sure so I would appreciate anyone watching it and giving they're input. I think the noise is the valves (stuck) and am unsure if the other noise is normal or not but I do not want to damage the engine.
If the valves are stuck and if I understand Rusty O/'Toole in my previous Ethanol post (Thanks Rusty) this is a common problem. Going with Rusty's suggestion I think I should put some Marvel Mystery Oil, Redex, Bardhal or your favorite upper cylinder lubricant to the gas and run it daily to see if it helps as the car has been sitting for some time. My questions are how much should I mix with how many gallons non ethanol gas and how long should I let it idle each day as I cannot drive due to rust issues.
Thanks for any help. -Jay

Posted on: 2015/5/22 21:20
 Top  Print   

Re: Engine Noises - 1952 Packard Touring Sedan
Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Jay, Sounds like a bad Hyd. Lifter. If a Hyd. Lifter gets dirty then they will stick. About the only way I know to fix this, is to remove the head, remove the valves take the Hyd. Lifters out and check and clean them according to Packard Engine Manual. Not sure about the other noise, but try removing the fan belt and run the engine again to rule out the water pump and generator.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (16.48 KB)
1003_55606bc6aeafa.jpg 231X482 px

Posted on: 2015/5/23 6:59
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with Wesley that it sounds like lifter noise, and more than 1. I'd just guess from the sound itself that they are mechanical lifters and not hydraulics and if so and if nothing is broken in the valve train, I'd start with a valve adjustment.

Posted on: 2015/5/23 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Good catch Owen I keep forgetting about Mechanical Lifters. So remove the valve covers (your probably need some new gaskets for the valve covers.) and it should look like this Youtube video:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLwTtoYAIzc
Sorry but I can't help you on how to adjust them but somebody here will.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/23 10:08
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved