Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
71 user(s) are online (51 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 70

Alvin14, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Recommendations for shock absorbers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
I am getting ready to buy a set of new tires for my '55 Clipper and have decided to replace the shocks front and rear at the same. I noticed that the fender had a little too much bounce when I pushed down on it the other day.

I would appreciate any and all suggestions about makes and types that you folks would recommend. Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/5/23 10:12
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Re: Recommendations for shock absorbers?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
I personally only use KYB shocks. Several have used based on recommendation and really like them.

I have the KYB part numbers for both bayonet top and bottom, and bayonet/Tee for fronts. and PN for the rears if interested in them.

Posted on: 2015/5/23 12:49
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You'll also find some shock absorber interchange #s in the Parts X-reference section on this website. Don't know if they are still available but for my 56 I very much like Gabriel 82066 for the rear and Gabriel 45653 for the fronts, I don't know if these numbers are still active. If you have the Monroe adapter plates for the 1956 lower A-frame to allow stud mounting, that opens up a larger selection.

I don't know who much value to put to the comment, especially as Packard offered HD shocks for export models, but it was Bob Allison's recommendation to NOT use anything other than standard duty shocks. You'd think as the inventory of the system he had reasons for that recommendation.

Posted on: 2015/5/23 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig the Clipper Man
See User information
Thanks Troy, Owen. I would appreciate the the numbers for those shocks, Troy. I am going to check them all out.

Posted on: 2015/5/23 13:20
You can make a lot of really neat things from the parts left over after you rebuild your engine ...
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Owen_Dyneto: Quote:
If you have the Monroe adapter plates for the 1956 lower A-frame to allow stud mounting, that opens up a larger selection.

I don't need it, but do you have a P/N for the adapter plates? It might help someone else.

Craig

Posted on: 2015/5/23 16:51
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Craig, they are pretty hard to come by, unless you happen to find a set on a barn queen. Randy Berger has at least one set, you might ask him.

Posted on: 2015/5/23 17:30
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Craig (and others with 56 Packards):

Found an interesting buy at a local car show/flea market today. These adapters allow mounting of front shocks with a lower standard round "eye" mount on a 56 Packard which would ordinarily would require either the lower "Tee" mount shock or the Monroe adapter for stud mount. Not sure I described that clearly but if you have a 56 you'll know what I mean. Two sets of 2 each, $5 - probably never need them but couldn't pass them up.

I also think I have a picture (courtesy of Randy Berger) of the Monroe adapter plates which allow lower front mounting of shocks with a stud instead of a Tee.

Attach file:

jpg  (49.89 KB)
177_5562254360406.jpg 1280X928 px

jpg  (73.08 KB)
177_5562259c4bdfe.jpg 1200X1090 px

Posted on: 2015/5/24 14:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved