Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
160 user(s) are online (100 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 160

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1939 12; adjust steering box
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

albo123
See User information
To adjust the steering box, the manual cites a specific tool required to perform what appears to be a challenging operation. Does anyone know where one can buy or rent such a long-obsolete implement? If not, are there alternatives?1939 12 steering box
All the best,
Richard

Posted on: 2015/5/24 8:33
 Top  Print 

Re: 1939 12; adjust steering box
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I'm don't know which adjustment your speaking of and don't have my shop manual handy but if you're talking about the cross shaft end play (the most commonly needed adjustment) all you really need is a delicate touch or a fish scale attached to a spoke at the rim and read the force to pull the wheel back and forth thru the center point. Best done with the wheels and tires removed, and DO NOT overtighten or you'll ruin the gear box - aim for about 1-1/2 inches of free play at the rim.

Posted on: 2015/5/24 14:36
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

albo123
See User information
Hello Owen, many thanks for the data. Just what I needed to know. However, my mechanic tells me that in order to do this adjustment, as you stated, a special Packard tool was required. Thoughts?

Richard

Posted on: 2015/5/25 11:11
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I'm not sure what special tool your mechanic is referring to but a detailed description of the steering box adjustment can be found in this service training film supplement from 1937 which would still be applicable to 1939 models.

1937 Film Supplement - Steering

Posted on: 2015/5/25 13:49
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As O_D said, a fish scale is probably what will substitute.

In my previous life we needed a tool to measure how much force it took to move part of a piece of equipment to ensure the brakes were being applied and released evenly. The special tool the manual called for was expensive and not readily available in this country. We found a good quality hanging fish scale did a commendable job. If that is what you need then there are all kinds of quality and working range scales available similar to the one in the photo. Just need to pick one that will work accurately in the range you want to measure.

If it is a different tool needed maybe your mechanic could provide more info.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.67 KB)
209_5563736c7021c.jpg 409X431 px

Posted on: 2015/5/25 14:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

albo123
See User information
Thanks, Owen. Very good of you to send me the Service Manual. I'll see if i can get more info on the "Special Tool" and get back to you.
Best,
Richard

Posted on: 2015/5/28 11:39
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
albo123, if you're going to continue with this vehicle, might I suggest you get yourself a reprint of the 1937-38 Shop Manual. The 39 Twelve has the same gear as the 37-38 Super 8 and Twelve, attached is the page from the shop manual. S.T. 975 is NOT required for the roller mesh adjustment, you can easily do the job without it.

Attach file:

jpg  (220.73 KB)
177_55677e0b9beea.jpg 929X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/5/28 15:44
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved