Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
92 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 92

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Pictures of Monroe Power Steering Actuator Installed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi All (again),

I am the guy who is installing (trying to at least) PS in his dad's 1949 Series 22nd.

I purchased a Monroe unit and the Pitman Arm.

Does anyone have any pictures of this unit mounted on the car?

Specifically I am interested in looking at the way the actuator is mounted to the pitman arm and how close the actuator gets to the underside of the chassis frame under the steering gear.

I mocked up my unit as indicated in the diagrams and it looks like the actuator will get real close to the bottom of the chassis rail. The car has a fuel line in the way right now so I would have to move that a bit to make it work but it sure would be helpful to see a picture of this contraption installed in a car that it was designed to be installed in.

THANKS for any help you can provide!!!

Bill

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!

Posted on: 2015/5/25 15:28
Bill,

Top  Print   

Re: Pictures of Monroe Power Steering Actuator Installed
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
When I do a mock up with the car raised the steering actuator will indeed hit the bottom of the chassis when the steering gear is fully turned to the left and the gears inside the steering box get internally locked...HOWEVER...in reality the steering gear will NEVER be allowed to travel all the way to the point where the internal gears will get locked because the external lower control arm to steering knuckle bump stop will kick in before that will happen.

So the question I have at this point would be how limiting is the external bump stop? Hopefully the external bump stop will stop the steering gear turning angle long before the Monroe actuator gets this close.

The picture below shows how much space I have when the steering gear is "almost" turned so far left to where the internal gears get internally locked (about 1/8 inch of gap).

I guess if it does become a problem I can pad out the external bump stop a bit using a 1/4 inch piece of steel to limit the left turn limit...OR...just tell my dad to never turn left...

Attach file:

jpg  (19.08 KB)
84982_5563920a5d108.jpg 336X386 px

Posted on: 2015/5/25 16:21
Bill,

Top  Print   

Re: Pictures of Monroe Power Steering Actuator Installed
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
..OR...just tell my dad to never turn left...
That's a plan. Just tell him you are thinking of his well being and it's right turns only. For years UPS went to great lengths (and maybe still does) to arrange the deliveries on routes so drivers had to make as few left turns as possible.

Posted on: 2015/5/25 16:28
Howard
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved