Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (94 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Electrical fuel pump installation
Home away from home
Home away from home

Steve
See User information
Originally posted in the 55/56 Packard section under electric fuel pump. Since this concerns a 51 Packard I am adding this post to this forum so other post war Packard owners can benefit from this installation.

This is a follow-up report. To my 1951 Packard 200, 6V POS ground, I installed the AirTex electric fuel pump #E8011 purchased 2 from Amazon at $28.00 Each with free shipping (they arrived the next day.) Easy install, and as Howard stated, I did ground the pos red wire from the pump to the frame and powered the black wire. Wired in a switch with fuse link to the ign switch. and it works. I drove the car at freeway speeds for 5 miles with the electric pump off, the mechanical pump on the engine did not have a problem supplying gas at the freeway speed 65-70 mph. I returned the 5 miles to the shop with the electric pump engaged and let it idle for 20 mins, then turned the car off and left the key on with the pump still on with out flooding the carb and engine with too much fuel pump pressure. The pump can be heard running when you sit in the car and the car is not running but you don't hear anything in an idling car. I do plan to install the same set up on my 55 dodge and 53 Packard.....3 of my 4 cars do get heat stroke (vapor lock) especially after a freeway drive and trying to return to regular street driving or 85 to 90 degree ambient in stop and go traffic.
Thank you again Howard.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 13:52
Steve
Old cars are my passion

1951 Packard 200
1953 Packard Clipper Custom Touring Sedan
1955 Dodge Custom Royal Lancer Tri-tone
1966 Rambler Classic 770 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved