Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (56 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 106

dallas, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 3 »

1951 gas tanks
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Does anyone sell repro gas tanks for 1951 Packard 200 series cars?
Thanks John

Posted on: 2015/5/26 19:36
 Top  Print 

Re: 1951 gas tanks
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Does anyone have photos or measurements of the 51 tank showing what makes it apparently different from the 52-56 tanks? Is it a different shape, different capacity or something else that would prevent the 52-6 repro tanks from working. If only capacity then it would seem that Kanters kit with tank and sender could be substituted. If something other than capacity it would be nice to know and to see if there is a workaround so those cars could use the repro tanks.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 19:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah I seen they listed 1952-56 Packard. That is what I was wondering what the difference might be between 1952 and 1951 cars?

John

Posted on: 2015/5/26 20:07
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
My 51 tank is out. If you tell me what to measure or what pics would help I'd be glad to do it. My plan was to put this tank in my 52 to replace the modern one shoved in there. I'm a long way off from trying to put it in.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 20:37
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
51 Packard, Here are photos taken by Packard V8 of what I believe is the tank used from a 52-6. I believe I was able to read his measurements and copy them correctly but if not, perhaps you can. The tank is almost square at roughly 25 1/2" and I read it to be almost 9" deep.

I would be curious if there is a difference in measurement or shape or if the 51 tank was mounted in some different way so the straps are not in the same spots the later tanks used. Is the fill pipe in the same location and If the tank is a smaller capacity, is it the height that is different or one of the other measurements.

Attach file:

jpg  (142.03 KB)
209_556529aaa1106.jpg 1196X936 px

Posted on: 2015/5/26 21:19
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I don't recall the details of the differences in the 1951 tank but I believe that question has been asked an answered previously on this forum. In any case a phone call to Kanter's should provide the answer.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 22:12
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I looked thru a few of the threads and didn't see a definitive answer. We know the whistle is on 51s and not the later tanks. Is that the only difference?

Since 51Packard has his tank out I would still appreciate knowing if there is a measurement difference and if so, where. The parts manual lists the same straps and Tee bolts 51-4 so it wouldn't seem like size is a big difference.

It just seems odd that if the whistle is the only difference and the tank will fit a 51 directly or with minor changes then why the changes are not mentioned. If something else then a mention of what a person would need to do, give up or buy extra to have the tank also be listed for 51.

Posted on: 2015/5/26 22:32
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Yeah, I might need a tank for a 1951 Packard, if the fellow gets me pictures of what he has for sell.

John

Posted on: 2015/5/27 7:47
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

jfrom@kanter
See User information
The tank that we reproduced will fit and function in the 51's. The difference is the fuel capacity it will be slightly more and there is no whistle in the neck. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Posted on: 2015/5/27 9:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Quote:

jfrom@kanter wrote:
The tank that we reproduced will fit and function in the 51's. The difference is the fuel capacity it will be slightly more and there is no whistle in the neck. If you have any other questions please let me know.

Thanks
James From
Kanter Auto Products

Thanks for the clarification. If Kanters would just state in their ads the tanks will physically fit 51-6 and have a disclaimer stating the differences for 51 it would sure avoid a lot of confusion or questions. List it as a replacement for 51s but there may be a need to also purchase the fuel sender since the tank is larger.

The capacity difference is interesting. There is no mention in any of the 51 specs listed in the service counselor or service manual as a model being different. All are listed as 20 gallons including the commercial chassis. Do you have a figure for the actual 51 capacity and which models?

Posted on: 2015/5/27 10:31
Howard
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved