Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
112 user(s) are online (74 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 109

29tons, kevinpackard, John Sauser, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Starter question
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

smashburn
See User information
Hey everyone. I hope you can help me with some advice. I am restoring a 1954 Cavalier. I have the motor back in the car. It has new points, wires, condenser, rotor button and plugs. It has compression. It is getting fuel and there is fire. It still won't start. My question is related to the starter. I'm wondering if it is not turning fast enough. I don't have a comparison so I don't know. It turns slow but do all the 6 volt starters turn slow? Just trying to figure out why this thing won't start and wondering if the starter is bad. It sat up in a field for 35 years. Thanks for any help.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 12:28
 Top  Print 

Re: Starter question
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Starters are not as fast as modern but still turn the engine over reasonably well.

You need to verify a couple of things. One is the voltage to the coil while the starter is turning. If the starter is pulling a lot of current for some reason -- or the battery cables are replacements that are too small -- or battery is partially discharged or too small and doesn't have the capacity -- or there are bad or dirty connections then the voltage to the coil will drop. If the voltage drops much below 4 1/2 volts the spark starts to suffer and may not be reliably firing the plugs. 6v cars don't have a lot of leeway and need a good sound electrical system particularly when starting.

You didn't mention the condition of the motor other than putting it back in the car. Was it rebuilt or just cleaned up. If just cleaned, what is the compression in the cylinders -- you said you have compression but is it enough and still adequate in all cylinders. The inline 8s are known for occasionally sticking valves -- either from sitting and rust on the stems or else firing up after a long sit and using old gas. After a short run on old gas it seems to stick the valves in short order. If the compression is low from valves or rings not sealing then it will have a very hard job starting.

Even if compression is good, another thing that could have happened with the long or many trials at starting without success is the plugs have become fouled. I would check them and make sure they are not moist from fuel or have an oily coating from something else that is affecting their ability to spark.

Posted on: 2015/5/28 12:47
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
What Howard said, even if your cables look good, doesn't mean they are good. I had a similar problem. My 47 cranks slow as all 47 's do, but it would not start. I don't think that it fired but only on a couple of cylinders, not enough to get it running. I was thinking about looking at rebuilding the Starter, but I figure changing out the cables first would be a lot easy. I built new cables put them on and if fired right up. Checking the voltages like Howard said should tell you if your cables are good or not, that is if you have the correct gauge cables.
Hope this helps.
Wes

Posted on: 2015/5/28 21:18
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You may have a gear reduction starter and as such it turns over the engine slower. In addition to a good starter you need a well charged battery of correct capacity, proper size cables and good grounds throughout the system. After these have been satisfied a 6-volt system will more than take care of the starting chores.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/5/28 23:14
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You may have a gear reduction starter

The geared AutoLite starter motors were only used on the 356 engines, ending with the 23rd series. Just to reiterate what others have already said, an engine in good internal condition and good state of tune with a competent battery and properly sized cables ("O" gauge or better) and with starter motor in good condition should start almost immediately, certainly within a few engine revolutions.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 7:45
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved