Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 108

TxGoat, humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

stuck motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
Brought the 53 from dave moe home pulled plugs gone through 2 gals of mystery oil down plug holes, drains into block but motor is still stuck.Anyone have any ideas?Thinking of pulling head to see what pistons look like.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 3:27
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama parts car- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print 

Re: stuck motor
Home away from home
Home away from home

John Iaccino
See User information
My suggestion is to drop the pan, take the rod caps off and try to spin the crank to see which piston is stuck. When you find the stuck piston, remove the bearing and tap the piston up from the bottom. Use a piece of aluminum or wood against the rod to protect from damage. You should take the head off also. After the piston is out, you can hone the cylinders and re-assemble the parts. Don't hammer down on the pistons because you might put a hole in the top of the piston. John

Posted on: 2015/5/29 5:27
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I agree with John's advice. If the engine sat for long, especially in a humid condition, the chances are excellent that the rings have rusted to the cylinder walls. Lots of snake oil (PB Blaster would be my choice), patience, and gentle persuasion should do the trick. If permanent antifreeze got into the combustion chamber (for example, from a blow head gasket or crack) then the chances are excellent that a piston has corroded, swollen, and will most likely have to be destroyed to remove it - I hope that's not the case, it can be a bear to remove especially if it's midway or lower in the bore.

Posted on: 2015/5/29 9:05
 Top  Print 

Webmaster
Webmaster

BigKev
See User information
My engine was stuck when I got it. A little ATF in all the cylinders and let it sit for a few days.

The I used a breaker bar on the crank bolt gently rocked it back and forth a little bit each day until she broke loose. Motor runs fine, and I never pulled the head or opened the motor except for cleaning out the oil pan and adjusting the valves.

Obviously your results may vary as you never know how long or how bad the motor was stuck. If it had been left opened (spark plugs removed) and some water got in there, or there was a headgasket leak that let coolant into the cylinders which created a rust issue, then it may not be as easy as it was for me.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 13:03
-BigKev

1954 Packard Clipper Deluxe Touring Sedan -> Registry | Project Blog

1937 Packard 115-C Convertible Coupe -> Registry | Project Blog
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
No need to remove head. REmove valve cover. Free up valves or make sure valves are not stuck. Check LIFTERS too. Remove all sparrk plugs. Put at least 75 PSI on each cylinder over nite for several days. BE PATIENT. It will loosen enuf to move gradualy then faster with wrench.

I've at least 6 different engines this way over the years.

IT is the VALVE TRANE to be careful of because it damages easy if forced.

Posted on: 2015/6/5 17:32
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

mike james
See User information
Pulled the head off to see if pistons are bad have one cylinder still holding mystery oil all others are dry. going to use liberal amounts of pb blaster on it see what happens. I was going to regasket the engine any way.

Posted on: 2015/6/6 2:28
53 Clipper- Sold
50 touring sedan- Sold
55 Patrician- Sold
56 Patrician- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama parts car- Sold
55 Clipper Super Panama
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
FYI: For the ATF guys. We did some tests and thinning ATF with 10-15% naptha or mineral spirits has better flow out/wetting than straight ATF. The published 50-50 ATF acetone mix as a sub for mystery oil is not one phase and will quickly separate on standing, plus it's vary flammable.
You can't really tell internal condition, if it just turns. That's playing the odds. It just a discriminator for big trouble or you're taking a chance with this one. Safest, but costliest, is to pull apart. A bore scope is a handy tool not found in most hobby tool boxes.

Posted on: 2015/6/8 8:56
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Jim, good suggestions, but I don't think a bore scope will work on this engine. The spark plugs are located over the exhaust valves in the Packard straight-8s, and doubt the scope will be able to see into the cylinder. Removing the cylinder head is the best way to see the condition of the engine internals. Fortunately, this is not a complicated job.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/8 10:10
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved