Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
192 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 191

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Engine wanted for a '35
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

Packard Twelve fan wrote:
I happened to have been close to both Ted R.I.P & Charlie R.I.P. Ted "apprenticed" in Charlie's shop before I did. Ted did "drift away" from us owing to his problem with the sauce. But we all still loved him and he loved us. You guys simply do not know what you are talking about as to those relationships.

I apologize - I did not know what I was talking about, because I got confused as to who we were talking about and what facility. As to this "Fred" - never met him as far as I know - never worked for ECA. My mistake. Did hang around 1000 So. Hope street - ECA's personal World War I era Twin Six was still in the basement last time I was in there (probably 50+ years ago ! ). Met the salesman who delivered my own V-12 new!

Thought you were referring to ECL (Charlie Last did not like his first name, and made that known. At moment, cant recall what ECL's first name was, since I knew better than to call him by that ! (think it was "Earl" too. Cant recall).

Pete, I am confused about "You guys simply do not know what you are talking about as to those relationships." Again, I had no prior knoledge of your relationships with these fellows, therefore never commented on them in any way.

I can certainly understand the confusion on ECA & ECL easy enough both being Packard related in the Los Angeles area. No harm done.

As for not knowing "Fred", who is Fred? No one has made a reference to a Fred that I can find.

Sounds like you new some great people in Southern California. I am originally from Inglewood. Things really changed drastically in much of the greater Los Angeles area over the years. Part of me liked living there, and part of me could never go back.

Jim

Posted on: 2008/10/19 17:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Peter Hartmann
See User information
ah yes - that paradise known as So. Calif. prior to the late 1950's...driving down to 19020 to Mike's place (with the big 'IMPEACH EARL WARREN' bill-board on the roof to get parts off of classic-era Packards - tearing up 101 to Santa Barbara and beyond before the Interstates and the freeways..

Posted on: 2008/10/19 20:10
If it has a red hex on the hub-cap, I love it
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
And what was that speed shop in Santa Monica, that had used parts piled from front to back and top to bottom. I think it was Shell's. But I could be wrong. Inglewood, the donut shop with the giant donut on top.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 20:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

tolandis wrote:
And what was that speed shop in Santa Monica, that had used parts piled from front to back and top to bottom. I think it was Shell's. But I could be wrong. Inglewood, the donut shop with the giant donut on top.

Good memory

yes! Randy's Doughnuts on Manchester and what is now the freeway. That was actually still around as of 18 - 20 years ago that I know of. Who knows, maybe still there now.

How about Inglewood tire shop, and J&J Muffler on La Brea.

Posted on: 2008/10/19 21:05
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Was it originally a Winchell's Donuts?

Posted on: 2008/10/19 22:23
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
It was Randy's as far back as I can recollect. If I remember right, Winchell's was on Centinela and Enterprise. Hard to say, could have been Winchell's in the beginning. If I remember right (told to me), the big doughnut has been around since the 40's or 50's

Funny, the things we remember about places and times.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 1:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
Just hope Pete doesn't give us a lecture on the quality of the Winchell's vs. the randy's donuts. After all he was there. Are prewar donuts better than post war donuts.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 1:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Donuts aside, and it's quite interesting how a thread can go in ANY direction, I just hope the guy I made the original post for got something out of all this. But I doubt it, as I see he read my first PM but not the second PM I send him.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 1:47
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Jim
See User information
Quote:

Ozstatman wrote:
Donuts aside, and it's quite interesting how a thread can go in ANY direction, I just hope the guy I made the original post for got something out of all this. But I doubt it, as I see he read my first PM but not the second PM I send him.

Mal,
Indeed you are right, it is fascinating to see how many of the threads on this forum take on many lives of their own. I suppose it is much like tire kicking at a car show. Lots of topic hopping. I apologize if this has created a problem in this particular thread.

I will attempt to recap incase this fellow checks in at some point.

? Fellow [pab] has a '35 and is looking for an engine.
? We do not know the model of his car.
? pab mentions an aluminum crankcase narrowing down to 320 or 385
? Complete engine in running order a tall order, not very likely.
? Not an easy or economical engine to rebuild.
? I have mentioned I know where a '34 385 engine is currently available and would assist with directing pab to possible seller.
? If complete engine is obtained, my recommendation is carefully inspect the bearings (dissenting opinion about bearing life aside in this post, this would be a good idea regardless the engine).

Again, my apologies, to pab and Mal.

Jim

Posted on: 2008/10/20 9:52
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Quote:
39super8 wrote: Mal,.........it is fascinating to see how many of the threads on this forum take on many lives of their own. I suppose it is much like tire kicking at a car show. Lots of topic hopping. I apologize if this has created a problem in this particular thread........Jim

Jim,

No need for an apology. A divergence from the initial topic can hijack a thread BUT in most instances adds further dimensions and enhancements instead. With this in mind, and even though we're now cruising Southern California, I'm quite comfortable with where this thread has gone. In fact the posts have provided a social commentary and insight of times past ie; they are a window on history. And as we're all custodians of history of sorts, by being Packards owners, to place them in that context just enhances the ownership experience.

Anyway, philosophizing aside, your summation of the "guts" of the thread provides a reference beneficial not just to pab but all Forum members.

Posted on: 2008/10/20 15:13
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved