Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
157 user(s) are online (111 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 156

kevinpackard, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 1951 Dietrich Limo
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Jim

Your description suggest the Patrician's condition isn't up to the asking price. The 288 ci engine should have been long since replace with a rebuilt nine-main 327 ci engine as original. If the owner tries to minimize the cost to do so being very cheap, ask why he has done so before now.

Wool broadcloth interiors as nice as they are, are very expensive to replace, nearly impossible to match if only limited sections are done. Dependent upon the extent of the sun damage, that replacement could become very expensive and it is a key part of the value of the car.

Ray Dietrich started a small custom coach-building operation in Grand Rapids, MI in 1949, closing in 1953. The company executed custom body work on all makes including Packard who contracted for a small number of Patrician Formal Sedans. Most of the work was installation of partition windows and formal padded tops on sedans. A very formal open-front compartment '53 Lincoln Capri Town Car was also built for Mrs. Edsel Ford, the last Dietrich town car.

Modifying coupes into convertibles was also done, mostly for manufacturers as prototypes. Two '51 Kaiser convertibles were built, one which is extant. The most ambitious project was the '50 Lincoln Cosmopolitan bubble-top convertible limousine used by Presidents Truman, Eisenhower and Kennedy. It's currently displayed at the Henry Ford Museum.

For what my opinion is worth, approach purchase of this '51 Dietrich Patrician carefully. If finding a Packard in good condition within our price range to drive and enjoy, though without the special provenance, check the Various CL Pickings thread frequently. Very worthwhile Contour Patricians and Cavaliers are offered for sale on a regular basis. A '53 Cavalier in New England was recently listed.

Good luck in your search and please keep us apprised of your progress.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/6/30 8:14
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

gonesouth
See User information
Thanks, Steve. that is the kind of guidance I was looking for. Never having done either an interior or engine restoration, what sounded simple in the hands of my gearhead friends in engineering school 40 years ago is probably a major expense to me today.

And if the top end value is perhaps $20,000 for a restored 51 Patrician, it's just not going to work out economically if I ever decide to move to a 30's car.....

Posted on: 2015/6/30 8:30
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
rust free 51 Packard with Dietrich modifications, one of three made, divider window, not too much work needed to make a nice driver, 15K is very reasonable, this is not your run of the mill sedan folks

Posted on: 2015/7/1 23:20
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
...this is not your run of the mill sedan folks

Agreed! I'm aware of an exceptionally well-preserved and low mileage 51 Patrician that sold in the mid-$30s and that lacked the features and pedigree of the Dietrich.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 8:26
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

gonesouth
See User information
If you're seriously thinking about this car, remember it has a later, smaller engine in it. Also the engine he has for rebuilding is from another car, the original engine was melted years ago.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 11:00
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information
Packards are NOT Corvettes or Jaguar E-Types where numbers matching is crucial for value determination. Just as long as you have in it a 1951 9 main bearing J6xx,xxx engine you are fine, this is NOT a hard engine to find

Posted on: 2015/7/6 1:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Caribbeandude
See User information

Posted on: 2015/8/14 14:28
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved