Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
104 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 103

BigKev, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

What oil filter for 327?
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
OK so I'm an idiot. I realized I haven't changed my engine oil since I bought the car. This car has an oil filter. I went to the auto store and bought a Fram C134PL which is listed in the cross reference on this site. This turned out to be a spin on filter. When I got the old oil filter out, it said Made in USA and LF316. It is a cartridge style filter.

A google search says it's made by Hastings Amazon

I don't see how the spin on filter would work. Am I missing something?

Posted on: 2015/6/29 21:15
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Re: What oil filter for 327?
Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
The spin on filter wouldn't work in the place of the cartridge filter....

John

Posted on: 2015/6/29 21:26
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
What applications for 51-54 used the spin on filter? I see a NAPA filter available ($17.99!), but I would prefer Fram or AC since they are available at the auto stores closer to me. Anyone know a Fram # that fits right?

Posted on: 2015/6/30 6:47
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
I don't know what they sold you, but here's a Fram C134PL (not a spin-on).

Attach file:

jpg  (24.87 KB)
188_559284fe338c2.jpg 400X400 px

Posted on: 2015/6/30 7:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You may or may not have a Fram, it could be a Purolator oil filter, or even an AC. What kind of filter element is in there now? Best way is to match up what you have, then you know the new one will fit.

(o{}o)

P.S. Oh, I see from your first post that you have looked at the old element. A good parts store should be able to cross reference the filter number in their catalog.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 9:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you google the fram number you posted then every picture from various sites shows up as a cartridge type. If you got a spin on using that number then it would seem someone has either put the wrong filter back in a box or the store got some mislabeled items.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 9:42
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Thank you all for your help! Yes the filter was swapped! The fact the box showed a spin on filter as well did not help my case but I finally convinced the girl at the self service counter that I bought a box with the wrong filter as evidenced by the different number on the spin on filter! I think she thought I switched it and tried to return it. Anyway I ended up with the right filter and even used the pic posted here for proof. Lesson learned. Always check the filter box before leaving the store!

Posted on: 2015/6/30 19:11
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved