Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
50 user(s) are online (29 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 47

Ozstatman, William Grosz, 53 Cavalier, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

1949 Egg Crate Grille Available???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi All,

Does anyone have a 1949 Egg Crate Grill available for sale?

If so...please PM me the condition and the cost to ship to 95023.

THANKS!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/6/30 0:14
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: 1949 Egg Crate Grille Available???
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Just a reminder, unless you have a 22nd series Custom or a 23rd series Super Eight, Super Deluxe Eight or Custom, the egg-crate grill won't fit. Couldn't find your car in the owners registry so I don't know what you have.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 7:51
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
> unless you have a 22nd series Custom or a 23rd series Super Eight, Super Deluxe Eight or Custom, the egg-crate grill won't fit

JD in KC...wow...thanks for the detail...GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!

Yes...the Land-o-Packardome is still kinda confusing to me...

Here is what I am working with:

The Body Serial number is 2272-9-I48I4 and from what I understand that is a "1949, Series 22nd Super Eight Touring Sedan" (whatever that means)

The engine casting number is 389803 11-17-48 and the Packard Engine Serial Number book calls the engine a "1948 22 Series"
327 CID, 145 HP, Super Eight L head, 5 bearing, solid lifters

Do you know if an egg crate grill will fit this car?

THANKS AGAIN for your help JD!!!

BH in SJ

Posted on: 2015/6/30 10:45
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The 2272 takes the 'standard' grill. The egg-crate grill requires the front end sheetmetal that goes with the 127" wheelbase. Your car has the 120" wheelbase with the smaller opening for the grill.

No, it won't fit.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 11:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
JD says>The 2272 takes the 'standard' grill. The egg-crate grill requires the front end sheetmetal that goes with the 127" wheelbase. Your car has the 120" wheelbase with the smaller opening for the grill.

Bills says>I certainly believe you. Packard-Land is new to me and the learning curve has been steep..are you referring to the terms I heard on this forum such as "Senior" and "Junior"??? If so, what is the difference between the Senior and Junior cars?

What are the differences in the terms "Deluxe" and "Super Deluxe" and "Super Eight" and my dad's car S"Super Eight Touring Sedan"(2272-9)?

Attached is a copy of the front page of the 1949 Packard Sales brochure. The car on the left looks like my dad's car. The car on the right has the "Egg Crate Grille" that he wants. So these two grilles are not interchangeable because the wheel base is longer and therefore the sheet metal is wider?

I have also seen this same grille on a two door convertible. Is the convertible wider than my dad's car?

I have read the sales brochures and have a very basic understanding of the Packard models however IF someone can please explain the Cliff Notes of the differences I would be greatly appreciative.

THANKS AGAIN for fielding these naive questions!!!

Bill

Attach file:

jpg  (18.85 KB)
84982_559830c618e23.jpg 430X336 px

Posted on: 2015/7/4 14:15
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
1949 can be a confusing model year as it covered two different series of Packards, the 22nd and 23rd Series.

22nd Series cars (which is what you have) were produced through 1948 and early 1949 until sometime before the introduction of the 23rd Series on May 1 (Per the book "Packard 1948 to 1950" by Robert J Neal)

The 23rd Series cars introduced in 1949 as "Golden Anniversary" models used different designations than the 22nd Series, particularly for the various Super Eights which are shown on the cover of the brochure that you posted.

Suggested reading for the 22nd Series is the 1948 Fact (Data) Book that can be found on this site under the listing by year.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 21:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I have a complete 49 egg crate grill up hear in sacramento, if your car has a 127 inch will base it will fit. $500 and you drive up and get it. dell

Posted on: 2015/7/4 23:10

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
To further expand on BDeB's concise explanation, it might be helpful to know that by mid-1949 when the 23rd series was introduced, sales were slipping. The styling of the 'bathtub' Packards while quite popular when first introduced was falling out of favor. As a result, Packard "upped the ante". The Super Eight was upgraded to a longer (127") wheelbase and the price was lowered. A unique 3-broad bar grill was developed to fit into the larger opening that came with the 127" sheetmetal. The grill you see on the left of the brochure cover is NOT the same as the grill on your Dad's 22nd series Super Eight. It's larger and it's only seen on the 23rd series Super Eight. Packard also introduced the Super Deluxe Eight, basically a Super Eight with most of the Custom exterior trim. A move in my opinion that further diluted the sales of the higher profit Custom.

Here's a photo of a 23rd Series Super Eight grill:

Attach file:

jpg  (84.17 KB)
188_55993817a093a.jpg 1280X769 px

Posted on: 2015/7/5 8:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Bill

Take the dimensions of your 120" wb 22nd Series upper grille. I believe you'll find those of the 127" wb 22nd Series Custom and 23rd Series Super, Super Deluxe and Custom is taller and possibly a tad wider.

The lower grille looks to interchange between all series, at least in terms of space. If you can create vertical bars to insert into your upper grille, then insert the egg-crate in the lower, you'll have the richer look you prefer. Perhaps pick up a spare upper grille to experiment with. Purists will balk but its your car to enjoy. Don't forget to add the rear egg-crate around the taillights too.

Steve

Added these for comparison:

Attach file:

jpg  (43.58 KB)
409_5599b02c91126.jpg 500X357 px

jpg  (29.57 KB)
409_5599b046e2a50.jpg 500X367 px

jpg  (39.31 KB)
409_5599b0598b6a5.jpg 500X412 px

Posted on: 2015/7/5 9:06
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Again...you all on this forum are most helpful!!!!

I measured the grille opening and came up with 18 inches wide and 8 3/4 from the top of the opening down to the top of the lower grille.

About ten years ago my dad had actually glued in some chrome bars vertically in between the horizontal opening to get that same look however some of the bars have broken loose and I was looking for an egg crate grille to install in there to surprise him when he gets the car back (IF he gets it back at the rate the machinist is going).

I measured the WB and came up with 122 inches...must have been some slack in the tape.

Bill

Posted on: 2015/7/6 0:02
Bill,

Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved