Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
103 user(s) are online (64 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 103

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: 55-56 Caribbean Series Paint Application
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Back in the seventies I two-toned my 55 Constellation. TEDIOUS! All of that taping the jambs is truly time consuming. I see why they stopped for 56.

In the same vein, I once two toned a 52 sedan with the correct early production roof-colored door uppers. I loved the look, but again very time consuming. I see why they dropped it midyear and went to breaking the paint line at the drip rail.

Posted on: 2015/7/1 12:29
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Leeedy
See User information
Quote:

Esquireman wrote:
I realize that the tri-color Caribbeans were factory painted prior to the installation of the pot metal and stainless trim, but how were the actual colors applied at the factory? What kept the application of the various colors clean and straight prior to the body being trimmed out?

Factory procedures for painting these cars in bare bodies were not all that complicated. And people forget that these cars were painted in nitrocellulose lacquer. This stuff was dry and rock hard almost as soon as the droplets hit the body! There was not an enormous amount of processing needed to do 2 or 3 tones.

Masking tape and paper at the factory came on a combined roll (tape on the outer end). And masking tape back then didn't have the gorilla sticking power it does today. So doing a straight line back on the bottom and one line back with a straight-angle kink up? Piece of cake.

As far as the paint extending into the door jambs or not... this has varied from car to car in 1955. It was mentioned in the story of the Howard Hughes/Jean Peters Caribbean in The Packard Cormorant magazine. So not all 1955 Caribbeans were painted into the door jambs. There is artwork in the showroom sales book and elsewhere showing this, but it did not always match reality on the actual cars.

Finally, someone mentioned "Good Year Hypalon"... and while Good Year may have had some involvement with manufacture, it was DuPont that invented and made Hypalon. They even trademarked the name. Hypalon was still around decades after Packard was gone, but the issue in this case was finding the exact color, texture and finish used on Caribbeans. That was the tough one to do!

Posted on: 2015/7/1 15:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

Packard's layered color breaks might have been tedious enough to mask but one can imagine those on the Dodge Main paint line having aching backs after masking their tri-tone color breaks on the hoods too.

Steve

Attach file:

jpg  (43.26 KB)
409_5594537c8031e.jpg 800X437 px

Posted on: 2015/7/1 15:55
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

John McCall and Mitch Parker
See User information
Indeed I have viewed this very special and unique Esquire! Since from what we know, most Esquires featured only two colors... your particular car is even more "Caribbeanesque".
So glad to have it in Atlanta as we are now located in nearby Palmetto!

Posted on: 2015/7/2 10:36
1956 Packard Caribbean Convertible
1956 Packard Patrician Touring Sedan
1938 Eight Touring Sedan
1949 Custom Eight Touring Sedan
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved