Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
167 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 167

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Fuel Pump Insulator Kit
Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I am replacing the fuel pump on my 115C. The one on the car is functioning, but it has been on for probably 20 years. I would rather change it now at my convenience in my garage rather than on the road somewhere, or needing to have it towed home.

The rebuilt pump I received is made for an insulator kit. That is the bolt holes in the pump flange where it bolts to the engine are oversize in order to fit insulating sleeves. They are about 1/2 inch diameter and the bolts are 5/16 inch. I would expect that I will also need an insulator between the engine and the pump and insulating washers between the bolt heads and the pump flange.

Are these insulating pieces available as a kit, or do I need to make my own? Where would I buy the insulating material to make a kit?

Thanks for all your help.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/30 13:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Re: Fuel Pump Insulator Kit
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The ready made insulators may be available but I didn't check. IIRC there had been an earlier discussion where someone else was looking without success so I just went ahead and made my own using Garolite from McMaster. That is a phenolic rod or tube which I believe is similar to the original.

I chose the Hard and Strong (XX) because the diameter I needed was available in that variety and I thought there was a good compromise between price and the max temperature rating. That particular item is good to 265 degrees while others are 235 or as much as 335.

It comes in both tubes and solid rods so you should be able to get close to the diameters you need. Unfortunately they only sell it in a length much longer than is needed. My pump has an inside lip surface near one end so I had to get the larger diameter and then turn the end down to match my smaller diameter lip.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 14:17
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks, Howard. My pump also has a lip near the outside edge of the flange bolt hole. Max Merritt lists an insulator kit. It looks like a pair of nylon washers and two lengths of rubber tubing for the flange holes. I ordered a kit. We shall see. Did you make an insulator that goes between the pump and the engine? This would seem to me to be necessary too.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/30 14:27
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I didn't have to make the gasket type insulator because there was a thick pressed cardboard like piece in a full gasket set which I assumed was the same as Packard used. Don't remember the thickness but was at least 1/16 if not more. Those might be available separately thru Napa or Max.

I did order some phenolic washers to go next to the pump and sandwiched those plus a regular steel washer under the bolt head to farther separate the bolts and pump.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 14:40
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Thanks, I'll see what I can find at MSC.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/30 15:02
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Ron Carpenter makes them or has in the past, 925-980-0208

Posted on: 2015/6/30 19:22

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I have ordered some material from MSC. A foot square sheet of 3/16" for the insulator between the pump and engine and a tube of 5/16" ID and 1/2" OD to make sleeves for the bolts. I think nylon 5/16" washers will complete the kit. I will also see what MM sends me. May have enough material to go around. Thanks to Howard and Dell for your help.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/6/30 21:47
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Was the old insulator between the block and pump that thick? The 47 and 56 are about half that so I would make sure there is enough length or contact area on the fuel pump arm to still make a complete motion if you space it out 3/16.

Posted on: 2015/6/30 21:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Howard, pump on the car does not have any insulators. You bring up a good point about thickness of insulator. I thought 3/16" thick insulator would provide needed separation without affecting motion of lever. I can check output and pressure after installing. Thanks.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/7/1 10:06
We move toward
And make happen
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved