Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
60 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 59

JW49, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Timing Chain Too Short...Have you ever heard of this issue???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
The machinist tried a second timing chain from Max Merritt and it is also just a tiny tad short. He is thinking of heating the chain up as he installs it.

Is this a common problem?

Posted on: 2015/7/2 13:17
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Timing Chain Too Short...Have you ever heard of this issue???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Is this a common problem?

In 50+ years of engine work on Packards and other cars, I've NEVER heard of this being required, so absolutely NOT common. Are you also changing gears? If so, does the new chain fit easily with the old gears? If so one or more of the new gears may be the issue and not the chain. If you want to try another source, I'd suggest Egge, perhaps the largest in the hobby for engine parts.

Posted on: 2015/7/2 13:23
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Heating the chain would take the hardness out of it, wouldn't it???
John

Posted on: 2015/7/2 20:36
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
ptv, my thoughts exactly but maybe if oven heated to 400ish it would go on? It may quickly stretch in service but if something seems wrong, something is pretty much wrong...
Maybe the old chain is the perfect length :)

Posted on: 2015/7/2 20:40
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
I usually don't know what I'm talking about, as others here have pointed out to me from time-to-time, but do you have the right timing chain and gear set? Reason I ask, is that the 356 engine as well as the 288/327 engine was available in Packards that year. Maybe the supplier has sent the wrong set?

Posted on: 2015/7/2 20:50
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
THANKS for the information!!!

Yes it sound odd to me as well however Packard is new to me.

The machinist is old school and I do have great faith in him. I am not nearby so I can't readily visit his shop.

I know the second timing chain and sprocket set was from Max Merritt and the machinist said that it looked superior to the first set. He said it is VERY close to slipping on and therefore the idea of heating up the chain in an oven was discussed (I imagine just a 250 degree bath). He rebuilt the entire engine so I imagine that he knows the difference..

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Bill

Posted on: 2015/7/2 22:30
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
FWIW the "356" engine has a Morse 3682-R chain, 62 links, 1-1/4 and 0.375. The "282" engine used the same chain (Morse or Ramsey) but only 58 links. The "288/327" engine in the 22nd-23rd series used a different chain than the same engine used for 51-54 but I'm not aware of the differences between the two.

Have you compared the old to new chain for the # of links and the pitch?

Posted on: 2015/7/3 8:27
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ernie Vitucci
See User information
Good Evening all...If this engine has just been rebuilt, then I would check the distance from the center of the crankshaft to the center of the camshaft. I have seen this distance change during the rebuild process. When this happens, one of the gears must be substituted for one that is a tad smaller or with a bit more room between the teeth. Egge might even have one slightly smaller or be able to make one. Also, many ring gears are heated and placed on flywheels. When they cool, then they are set in place. I can see why an old school mechanic might consider this approach. It might work, if it is not too tight when it cools. Ernie current custodian of 'Miss Prudence' a 1949 Deluxe.

Posted on: 2015/7/3 21:19
Caretaker of the 1949-288 Deluxe Touring Sedan
'Miss Prudence' and the 1931 Model A Ford Tudor 'Miss Princess'
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Larry51
See User information
When restoring my 1951 288 L8 I had an awful time getting the timing chain on. It was just a tiny bit too short and I spent HOURS trying to fit it. Chain was new (from Kanter IIRC), gear was original but in good condition. Everything else absolutely standard / original. It was just a very tight fit but when it did go on (after War Dances done and Offerings to The Gods) everything turned nicely and chain tension was good. I just tried a dozen ways and eventually one worked . . . Can't remember which way, but I tried many ways many times and eventually it went on.

My conclusion: just a mongrel of a hard job. Perhaps Kanter and MM have someone making these a little bit too small??

I'd heat it just a little - no need to give it heat that would alter hardness. Boiling water temp might do.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 3:26
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I would check the distance from the center of the crankshaft to the center of the camshaft. I have seen this distance change during the rebuild process.

Hi Ernie, can you give me an explanation of how this is possible?

Posted on: 2015/7/4 8:19
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved