Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
106 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 105

BDeB, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Performance figures for 51
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Craig Fox
See User information
Well every little thing that I have done on my 1951 model 200 with the 288ci engine and standard 3 speed transmission has made it run better, and more reliable, I hope. So I am getting to were I can drive it around town, and am wondering what is a good cruising speed, how hard will it accelerate, what is a top speed, what is typical fuel consumption ? I am using unleaded regular mixed with instead of lead. I am driving at an altitude of 1500-2500ft. Also what RPM is it running at for say 55-65 mph? Looking forward to your insights.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 17:57
 Top  Print   

Re: Performance figures for 51
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just took my 54 Clipper with 288 (essentially the same as your car) on a camping trip, loaded down with gear and did 360 miles in the weekend. According to the modern car following we did up to 75 (80+ on my speedometer). Some slow steep climbs on secondary roads required near full throttle in third for a mile or so.

This 54 has overdrive. If you have straight three speed I would keep it below 70 as that would be 3300 rpm. 60 is about 2900.

Motor Trend said the top speed for your car was 93 in an average of 4 runs. 0-60 by manually shifting the Ultra was 12.5 seconds. The smaller and endlessly touted Rocket 88 Olds was .3 seconds faster with its extra 15 cubes.

Posted on: 2015/7/4 20:26
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved