Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
115 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 115

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 Patrician rear u-joint
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Hello. I have been underneath this car for nearly 2 hours. I thought how simple the two horseshoe clips will be to put in!!! After these two hous, I'm not so happy. Do you guys have a solution to my problem. I made sure the yoke grooves are clear and burr free. Looked at my old ones to make sure they were the same thickness. Just out of sorts here. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you, Brain.

Posted on: 2015/7/5 11:47
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 Patrician rear u-joint
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Am assuming you can get the clip in position but it will not go completely in the groove to lock?? If so, the only thing I could suggest is the clips are not the exact same thickness. All it would take is .001 or maybe even less difference. If the old clip is thinner and if the bearing cups had moved slightly outward to take up that slack and covered part of the groove then trying to insert a thicker clip without moving the bearing cups toward center to uncover the groove fully inserting the clip would be difficult.

Posted on: 2015/7/5 12:04
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Always a good idea to check the fit of the clips in the cups before you assemble. Assuming they are correct the most likely reason is that the little seal on the cups has prevented the cups from moving sufficiently inboard. A large C-clamp (and perhaps a spacer at each side against the cup head if needed) to move the cups inwards a few thousandths to compress the seal is probably all that's required. It should take very minimal pressure - if not time to disassemble

Posted on: 2015/7/5 12:48
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
That clip has to slide in those grooves on the yoke. That is where I'm having trouble. The clip fits fine on the bearing cap

Posted on: 2015/7/5 18:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved