Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (117 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 162

TxGoat, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: 359 packard engine
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The 356, as noted earlier, WAS expensive to produce for minimal improvement in performance over the 327. Not that the block itself was sufficiently different in terms of complexity or cost, but the multi-piece crankshaft certainly was in comparison to the one-piece forged shaft already in use on other engines.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 10:27
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
As others have mentioned, it was an expensive engine to make (and rebuild). Example is the crankshaft. The 288/327 crank has the counterweights cast or forged in place and are part of the assy whereas the 356 has individual weights which are bolted onto the crank forging. Because the weight are wide and overlap the journals, the machining has to be done first and then weights bolted on and balanced.

To do any rebuild machine work the bolt heads holding the weights have to be milled off so weights can be removed, machining to the journals done and then weights rebolted in position and the protruding bolt head ends finished again so all is flush with the weights. Then the crank is balanced again. Rebuilding one of those engines today takes a shop with expertise and with machines large enough and capable of doing that kind of work. Your local or typical SBC rebuild shop is usually not the place to take that engine.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 10:36
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
I wonder how long past the introduction of the v-8 in 1955, Packard still offered engine assemblies in the 288, 327 and 359 engines?

John

Posted on: 2015/7/6 11:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I believe SASCO might have had a few of the inline 8 service engines at least until almost the end and maybe past. There was mention in one of the later (post 1960) Stude Service Bulletins of finding several Packard service replacement engines in a warehouse. Don't remember which engines they found but there was mention that they could be used in place of other 1951-1954 engines which were no longer available.

They also had a bunch of 352 V8 engines and were offering those dirt cheap to dealers to get rid of them. One promotion to dealers was they could buy the 352 for a low price and sell it to a customer at a reduced cost who could take advantage of the substantial savings if he needed a replacement for his 374.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 11:35
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

"With the introduction of the 23rd series Super Deluxe, sales of the Custom 8 pretty much fell off a cliff (no small surprise!) and it proved very difficult to sell off the remaining inventory of finished cars."

Dave is right, Custom Eights became distressed merchandise. But it might be more accurate to say it did when Sales Manager Karl Greiner in November 1949, after review of the slow-selling 23rd Series Custom Eights, convinced management further efforts in that segment were futile. The Super Deluxe Eight was created to give dealers a more-saleable upmarket model while working off Custom inventories when its production was curtailed to cut further losses. The 356 was just a casualty being a Custom exclusive, though its manufacturing costs and minimal numbers certainly contributed to the decision.

"Obsolete" it was not only within the Packard context, but also the larger industry. Notwithstanding how magnificent an engine it is, the high-compression, over-square, freer-breathing short-stroke OHV V8 era had arrived and any L-Head In-Line engine configuration days were numbered. It's analogous to the last of the magnificent steam locomotives when the diesel-electric became the preferred engine.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/7/6 11:53
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Thanks to All! Always GREAT to get a little more information was to why.
Thanks again!
Wes

Posted on: 2015/7/6 15:37
 Top  Print   

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

john verity
See User information
Hi, I am looking for a set of standard rod bearings for my 1947 356 straight 8. Kanter Auto Products is filling my piston and ring order, but can't supply standard rod bearings.

Any ideas on where to look would be appreciated.

Thanks, John Verity, Boise, Idaho

Posted on: 2015/7/6 17:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Have you tried Egge? It would be the 1st place I'd try.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 17:47
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Alternate known proven trusted Packard-owning source is Terrill Machine in Texas.
254-893-2610.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 17:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
I think I have a set of standards. Will check the magic basement tomorrow morning.

Posted on: 2015/7/6 19:46
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2) 3 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved