Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
69 user(s) are online (43 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 67

HH56, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Power Brake, 55 Patrician
Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
ANd most likely that VW single MC was probably used as far back as the early 50's too. And all of PMCC during the 1950's era couldn't figure that one out.???

I would have never guessed VW used a .675" MC. IIRC that is close enuf to "spot on" to the OEM BTV cyclinder diameter to call it exact.

How come none of the rest of us could have thot of the VW MC 15 years ago????

Posted on: 2015/7/8 20:21
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Wait a minute!!!! How much STROKE does the VW MC have????
Note that the BTV has quite a long stroke, about 2" or more IIRC.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 20:30
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I just measured a BTV MC. Full stroke of the ram is at least 3" maybe closer to 3-1/8".
HOWEVER, i do not know how much actual installed pedal travel mite limit that 3" stroke.

I don't have a acar set up with BTV and pedal to measure.

Posted on: 2015/7/8 20:38
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Don_J
See User information
The stroke is maybe half that of the BTV. I'm not sure if this is limited by the VW MC or the booster. Or both. I will say that when everything is pumped up and working correctly it takes a lot of pedal finesse to stop smoothly and not send the contents of the car flying forward. I think that is mostly the valving in the booster, it's meant for a 4:1 pedal ratio as well.

Posted on: 2015/7/9 3:47
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

Andrew Sinclair
See User information
I was browsing through the disc brake conversion kits at Summit Racing and it looks like this company (Right Stuff Detailing) has very competetively-priced disc brake and master cylinder/booster conversion kits for a lot of cars. As I am not so good with all of the nitty-gritty technical details as a lot of you are, I wonder if someone might want to call and see if they might be willing to put together a conversion kit that would work with the 55-56 Packards?http://www.getdiscbrakes.com/disc-brake-conversions

Posted on: 2015/7/27 17:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
I'll go out on a limb and stae the following:

Anyone that IS familiar with the "nitty gritty tech details" would not be interested in a disk brake conversion for a PACKARD. Maybe some studebakers or model A fords or cars of that nature but not PAcckard nor probably not Cadillac or any of the HIGH PRICED cars of the drum drum era. Disk is simply not needed on the higher end cars.

Posted on: 2015/7/27 18:26
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Russell James
See User information
Hi Don, there seemed to be a lot of positive interest in your use of a booster and master setup from VW a year ago.

I am in Australia and the accessibility to VW components will be much easier than a trusted BTV rebuild, ABS electric master systems, etc.

A firewall mounted option is looming but I have been reluctant to move into the that positioning as it will eliminate the fresh air vents.

Wondering if you have any further comments on how the brakes have been performing since your original posts.

Appreciate any current feedback.

Cheers

Russ

Posted on: 2016/4/2 6:34
Russ (the prodigal son)
56 400 (sold 2022)
39 1702 7 pass touring (long term project)
38 1602 7 pass limousine (needs work)

Learnt to drive on a 50 in 1969
 Top  Print   

« 1 2 (3)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved