Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
141 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 141

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1948 r9 overdrive inop
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mrstude
See User information
Working on a 48 r9. It is not working. Checked the wiring per the diagram and the wiring look correct. What is the most likely cause or place to start. How do you manually test the OD solenoid.
Thanks
Rick

Posted on: 2015/7/15 8:08
 Top  Print 

Re: 1948 r9 overdrive inop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Hi Rick; The fastest way to check the solenoid is to take a jumper wire and ground the kick down switch. With the key on ground one side and then other of the switch which is down on the gas pedal linkage. If you can hear the solenoid click then it is ok. (first check the fuse) It should click on both sides-if not let me know. Dell

Posted on: 2015/7/15 9:05

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If you do not already have it, there is a training manual for the R9 on site you can download.http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/EconoDriveTrainingBook.pdf

Believe the key on and grounding the kickdown switch to bring in solenoid is for the R11. Not sure grounding the switch is the best way to bring in the relay on an R9 because there may be another switch after it.

There are several switches and the relay in an R9 so many likely candidates. First verify 6v is present between terminal 1 of the relay and ground. If not, fuse or the reverse safety switch. That safety switch was a later addition and if early production your car may not have it. It is a 4 terminal rectangular box at the base of the steering column. Terminals nearest plunger are the safety switch portion and terminals to the end of switch box are for reverse light.

If 6v is present, with the car standing still and engine off you can quickly test if one of the switches is the problem. Use a jumper wire to touch terminal 5 of the relay to ground. If the relay comes in you should also hear the solenoid try to come in. Solenoid may emit a clunk but if the balk ring is blocking it the travel is short so it may be difficult to hear over the sound of the relays. If you do have the relay and solenoid the problem is in the governor, lockout or kickdown switch. All have been at fault for others in the past. Also, if you have the two piece wire loom those plastic connectors located behind the brake pedal area a few feet away from the OD have been at fault too.

If the first test is inconclusive, to test the solenoid alone you will need to provide 6v power to both terminals 3 and 4 at the same time. Ground is to the case. It will require heavy wires as the solenoid pulls a lot of current. If both terminals are not energized at the same time it will either not pull in at all if 3 is the one energized or will "machine gun" if 4 only is energized. To make replacement easier, when you remove the solenoid, mark the orientation of the solenoid and the spacer block to the OD case. The mounting holes in the spacer are slightly offset and if the spacer is installed incorrectly it binds the solenoid.

As is noted in the training manual, when you reinstall the solenoid it will be much easier to electrically power it to extend the plunger so you can replace the ball inside the receiver slot in the pawl. If the solenoid has been removed before and incorrectly replaced that is another known reason for ODs not engaging.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 9:22
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
If you do remove the solenoid mark it and the OD unit so you reinstall it in the same way. I think it is suppose to be symmetrical but others have noted a difference. I have done all the stuff suggested but mine still does not work. I also found the governor not grounded. Sometimes difficult to determine which is #5 on the relay. terminal. If you cannot id the terminals I can take a look at mine. I also found the kick down switch not working.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 10:00
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mrstude
See User information
Thanks I will review the training info.

Posted on: 2015/7/15 20:30
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

packard1949
See User information
#5 is top middle on my relay

Posted on: 2015/7/16 12:26
 Top  Print 

Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

mrstude
See User information
I have the electrical section working. I disassembled the OD unit. I found the lockout shaft binding in the OD case. I corrected the issue. Looking at the other components, they seemed to look good. However, after reassembling the trans and try to move the vehicle, it will move forward intermittantly. Reverse works fine and if i put the trans in lockout it will move in fwd and rev. I think the roller clutch assembly might be slipping. With the vehicle on the lift and trans in 1st gear. I can turn the driveshaft both ways. Sometimes it catches and locks and sometimes it doesen't. I assume if the roller clutch is bad, the vehicle will not move in any forward gear ? Thoughts?
Thanks
Rick

Posted on: 2015/8/26 8:49
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved