Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
137 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 137

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 19 »

Re: Troy's Workshop
Home away from home
Home away from home

Craig Hendrickson
See User information
Those 55-56 T-L gear boxes are interesting things. They are slightly different of course with internal limit switches on the 56, but otherwise the same.

I've rebuilt 2 in the last few months out of 4 available: one for Panther and one for my Patrician. Panther gear box had one planetary gear with a missing tooth, so I used another 56 box for it. Patrician gear box was low on lube, had some rust in it and made a lot of noise, so I used another 55 gear box I had. That one is now quiet as a mouse.

Thanks to the exploded view of each in the Parts Book illustrations, it's very straightforward to reassemble it.

The lube is obviously critical for long, trouble free life. IIRC it was Owen_Dyneto (Dave) who suggested Sta-Lube SL-3303 as a good substitute. Probably any moly-disulfide extreme temperature disc brake wheel bearing grease would work. However, it is EXPENSIVE ($27/pint at local NAPA).

Craig

Posted on: 2015/8/16 15:49
Nuke them from orbit, it's the only way to be sure! Ellen Ripley "Aliens"
Time flies like an arrow. Frui
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Heading out to Virgina, Next motor headed to Wisconsin.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.34 KB)
17226_55e20eeb9651b.jpg 1280X960 px

Posted on: 2015/8/29 14:58
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Question for the group. I was looking at some additional shop space today. the landlord had a nice eclectic collection of cars 46 Rolls Royce all Aluminum body, 52 Jaguar from the UK, BMW Isetta, and a mint 53 Cadillac, 68 mint Datsun truck.

That aside, I am looking for spec interest on a score from my venture on a Packard V-12 complete engine. As everyone knows, these are not cheap to rebuild and I am Not looking forward to sinking several K into an engine to just sit around but, if I had an interest, would tear it down tomorrow.

Posted on: 2015/9/18 15:57
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
There is nothing in print that even comes within miles of the outstanding Dale Adams Restoration Notebook series of publications on rebuilding the Packard V12. I'd say it's essential reading for anyone even remotely thinking about taking a Packard 12 engine on as a project. And even if you're not, it's fascinating series of articles. His work on manufacturing rod bearings from scratch is laudable as well as essential if you're rebuilding one of these. Charlie Last (now deceased) was another Packard Twelve expert, as is Steve Babinsky who has an outstanding reputation with such engines. And plenty of other good stuff on the Dale Adams site. I guess many of us know the 34 Packard Dietrich (Pebble best of show winner) is in the Cassini collection in New Jersey.

http://www.daleadamsenterprises.com/packard1.pdf

Posted on: 2015/9/18 16:14
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Troy

My two cents for what its worth, is considering how few individuals and shops are skilled and competent enough to correctly rebuild this difficult-to-do engine, the way to build a reputation would be to do one then it be driven on regular club tours to demonstrate how well and prefectly it can be done.

With the number of Twelves listed in the hands of PAC, PI and CCCA members, that skill would definitely become an in-demand business very shortly. The best advertising is "Ask the Man Who Drives a Twelve rebuilt by TroyT!"

Steve

Posted on: 2015/9/19 11:01
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Steve- very true, I never planned on dipping into the Studebaker realm but after a very high visibility tranny, job lots of buzz and inquiries coming in from the stude forums. I now keep two 56J ultramatcs on the shelf.
Lots of irons in the fire and always keeping eyes open for new opportunity but keeping in check with abilities. Last v-12 I rebuilt went into a M-60 tank.

I found a solution to the winding issues I have been dealing with pics coming soon. Also have the torsion winding tool up in the cad system and working on the CNC program for the saddle. Shooting for spring unveiling

Posted on: 2015/9/19 17:31
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
New Service shop getting ready to break ground as soon as Building Permit is issued

Attach file:

jpg  (32.10 KB)
17226_5605e0bf00a4d.jpg 796X658 px

Posted on: 2015/9/25 19:04
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi Troy

Congratulations! Nothing like a nice new spacious shop to make work go much easier!

Get ready to welcome all the PAC members for a tour when the 52nd National Meet convenes at South Bend in 2017!

Steve

Posted on: 2015/9/26 11:10
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Steve,

Yes!!! planing is underway for Pac-2017, we have our next meeting on Nationals next Sunday, I am glad to be a part of making it happen. As things come together, I will keep everyone on here posted as to plans and details.

I am excited to finally get the larger shop going. We have just acquired an EDM machine with a partner for other work but now have the ability to wire cut any component needed. We will also be able to cut our own dies to make rubber extruded seals and gaskets. We have a really aggressive business plans but are taking our time to insure quality of what we are offering. We are trying so hard to find younger "apprentice" to introduce the art of Packard's but reality is not as easy as one would think.

Posted on: 2015/9/26 11:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
Latest addition to the shop

Attach file:

jpg  (21.69 KB)
17226_56586e7206067.jpg 339X450 px

Posted on: 2015/11/27 9:53
 Top  Print 

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 19 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved