Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
87 user(s) are online (55 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 83

BigKev, QMopar, HH56, Todd W. White, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: packing wheel bearing on a 33
Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Yes O-D I have some old National seal books that list the Packard numbers, like the inner is a170260 if I remembered it right go to a 470065 which is like $13.00. I ordered a set for my 33 and for my 35 for just a little over $110.00. the fronts are the problem and have them on order from Max. As the front seal has the seal surface against the brake drum and appears to be just felt I was thinking about finding a seal that would fit the 3 inch bore size of the brake drum a have it seal on the piece the fits between the inner bearing and the spindle. I might try that on my 35 when I get to it. Thanks again

Posted on: 2015/7/22 20:16

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
O_D,
I'm intrigued with this rear wheel bearing lubricator tool. When I brought up the service letter, however, the picture or sketch is so faint that only a partial outline is visible and no description is given. I downloaded the 33-34 tool catalogue but I don't see the tool listed in the index nor displayed anywhere in the catalog. Could you possibly describe or post a picture of this tool? Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 21:10
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
From the March 1935 Special Tool and Shop Equipment catalog. I have a complete spare differential with axle shafts so maybe next winter I'll take a crack at making one. Interesting that the grease fitting is a cross-pin Alemite and not a hydraulic Alemite - that type fitting was pretty much obsolete by 1932 or thereabouts.

I'm guessing that it's not much more than two concentric sleeves closed at one end with a grease fitting into the cavity and the opening that aligns with the rollers and spaces between them.

Attach file:

jpg  (119.46 KB)
177_55b05c3ce6ea6.jpg 540X990 px

Posted on: 2015/7/22 22:15
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Don Shields
See User information
Wow, that was quick! I see I was looking in the wrong year tool catalog, 33-34 instead of the 35. I see the tool has a key slot. I guess the key would help hold it on while greasing. The purpose of the external threads on the left side eludes me, though.

I was thinking you could get the grease gun hypodermic needle attachment to grease the outer bearing, but not sure if it would reach the inner bearing. And as JW has mentioned, overfilling could be a problem, knowing when to say when. Thanks, O_D, for your quick response.

Posted on: 2015/7/22 22:53
Don Shields
1933 Eight Model 1002 Seven Passenger Sedan
1954 Convertible
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The purpose of the external threads on the left side eludes me, though.

Yes, it's not clear to me either but I'm thinking that it appears that there is a threaded removeable sleeve or cover on the "business end", perhaps a dust cover for storage to keep it clean inside, and for use it's removed and placed on the "dead" end, perhaps to facilitate alignment on the axle shaft stub via a tapered bore to match the axle taper? At least that's my guess.

Posted on: 2015/7/23 7:59
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packardbarry
See User information
Ive looked at this Bearing Lub TOOL many times and thought about making one but in the end asked myself why. As said before best thing is to pull the bearings and clean or replace with new. Old grease can get as hard as the bearings and thus this Tool would not do u much good.

Agree with O-D that the bore matches the taper of the Axle and thus the threads give u a puller attachment. If u look at he poor photo u can c the female KEYWAY that matches the Axle KEY.

Wonder if the BEARINGBUDDY guy got his idea from this Lub. Tool. REMAKING THE WHEEL greaser
http://www.bearingbuddy.com/how.html

Posted on: 2015/7/23 9:36
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
... the fronts are the problem and have them on order from Max. As the front seal has the seal surface against the brake drum...

You shouldn't need new front seals, you can diassemble the metal parts and install a new felt wiper seal from OldCar Bearing down in NC. There is a post with pictures on this on the PAC Forum.

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/download/file.php?id=293&t=1

http://www.packardclub.org/forum/download/file.php?id=288&t=1

Note the typo in the 2nd image, used thru 1936, not 1926.

Posted on: 2015/7/23 10:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
If anyone os interested the seals for the 33 to 35+ rear end are inner 450065 and outer 472018. Box is Timken, numbers are also national.

Posted on: 2015/7/25 19:04

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved