Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (52 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 77

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

treadle vac
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Took my 55 clipper out for a drive today. I noticed the brakes felt hard. A few miles later, I had no brakes at all. I down shifted to second and started for home very slowly using engine breaking. Went through a few red lights and got some people very angry with me. I little later I heard a loud clunk. The brake pedal was sucked all the way to the floor board. I assume that I now need to get a new Master Cylinder. I thinking of Max Marrett or Kanter. Any suggestions? I have had a few treadle vac problems in the past but this is the first that really made me wonder how safe these brakes are.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 12:41
 Top  Print   

Re: treadle vac
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is a scary feeling for you and others. If you want to keep the BTV, I would either get a complete rebuilt exchange unit from Max or Kanter or else have Ross redo yours.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 12:47
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
One interesting thing is that the brake lights are on. I had to pull the battery cable when I got home to get them off.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 12:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
You have several things going on so it is hard to guess what all the issues may be. One thing is if the pedal was sucked down and is still away from the normal rest spot the compensator valve may be closed. If so, the pressure buildup from heat of driving has nowhere to go and it may be enough for the switch to think brakes are still applied.

You might try pulling the pedal back with your hand and see if that does anything. If a valve in the vacuum portion is messed up and pulling the pedal down, there may still be enough residual vacuum that you won't be able to pull the pedal to the released end or have it stay if you do.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 13:07
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
Check the fluid level in the master cylinder reservoir and report back.
When u remove the unit then measure any brake fluid that can be easily drained from the power unit.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 14:06
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I pulled the hose off the vacuum tank and it hissed, so it had vacuum. I tried lifting the pedal by hand and it wouldn't budge. Maybe I should try a crowbar

Posted on: 2015/7/26 14:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

PackardV8
See User information
IF u want a conversion then try a 1996''ish Ford Explorer power unit. The mounting studs are perfect for mounting thru the fresh air vent hole in the firewall. A 65 or 66 MUSTANG master cylinder will bolt to the explorer power unit. USe the Explorer brake pedal. U'll have to make TWO extremely SIMPLE mounting plates for the power unit.

NO other special valves or anything needed. Probably about $80 for power unit, $50 for mustang MC and whatever a explorer pedal assy costat a junk Yard. Get TWO explorer pedal assy's.

However, if your car has FACTORY AC then the Explorer unit won't work.

Posted on: 2015/7/26 14:14
VAPOR LOCK demystified: See paragraph SEVEN of PMCC documentaion as listed in post #11 of the following thread:f
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=7245
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Fluid level is ok

Posted on: 2015/7/26 14:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
The heat build up,turning on the brake light switch, is probably right on. After sitting a while, the brake lights are now off

Posted on: 2015/7/26 19:08
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
SEND IT TO ROSS; HE WILL DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME!

Posted on: 2015/7/29 23:49
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved