Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
117 user(s) are online (67 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 115

JD in KC, 2T9-626, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: treadle vac
Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
I talked to Ross today and am sending one treadle vac his way.

Posted on: 2015/7/31 14:43
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
WISE CHOICE!

Posted on: 2015/7/31 15:09
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
You know the opinions on the BTV both pro and con-here's my version-when I bought my 1955 back in 2003 and started driving around Philadelphia I never had a problem with the unit, and it would stop on a DIME! Well my mechanic didn't like the appearance of the unit due to corrosion on the outside casing so I removed the unit out from my car and sent it to some re builder in Arizona (it may have been Tuscon Packard but I don't remember)That is when I started having trouble with the unit. Until I had Ross rebuild it it was never right; but I really must say I was very disappointed in White Post. White Post snagged me with the "lifetime warranted" and I fell for it hook line and sinker. My opinion is the UNIT as designed is reliable-the problem is re-builders out there who do not know what they are doing. Do you honestly think that Packard, as well as Cadillac, Buick, Oldsmobile, Chevy, and Pontiac as well as Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury and most of the independents would have put a defective unit in their cars for something as important as brakes? I think not-the problem is we have some re builders out there who do not have a clue what they are doing.

Posted on: 2015/7/31 15:45
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Coincidence or not, the name White Post seems to come to the forefront all too often when rebuilt TreadleVac failures are discussed.

Posted on: 2015/7/31 16:41
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Michael C Wauhop
See User information
No doubt and I should kick myself in the A@SS! For not sending it to Ross in the first place.

Posted on: 2015/7/31 18:32
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Let the ride decide
See User information
Group number 1.389 brake vacuum check valve.

What did Packard change between 55 (440822) and 56 (6489024)?

Posted on: 2015/8/7 18:50
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
If you are a reader of these BTV threads this scenario seems to follow a pattern:

Brake pedal becomes hard followed by a sudden loss of braking with the pedal going to the floor.

There are two sources of hydraulic problems in this unit. The compensator valve and the ram seal.

A damaged compensator would cause a sudden loss were the unit to fall apart, or no brakes from the outset among other weird symptoms (low pedal, gradual lock up) if the pin is damaged.

However, if the ram seal rolls on the shaft this would cause a stuck pedal followed by destruction of the seal and total loss of braking.

My guess then is that not using a seal protector and lube during assembly is damaging these seals, or the use of a pitted ram is causing same. So I would buy the available new ram if there are any signs of wear.

Seal protectors can be had from NAPA or a local trans shop although if I were a parts supplier I would include such in the kit to avoid product liability.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 5:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

55clipper
See User information
Tim, thanks for the diagnosis. Once I get the new unit installed, I wonder if anyone would want to get a look at the old unit. Is this an unusual occurrence? The unit was in the car for about 20 years.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 9:50
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Kanter was wanting to examine failed units at one time to see if he could find a theme or some common item causing the issues so you might see if he is still interested.

Posted on: 2015/8/8 10:11
Howard
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved