Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
107 user(s) are online (72 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 105

Ozstatman, William Grosz, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Exterior Chrome Strip
Not too shy to talk
Not too shy to talk

52Packard
See User information
Have a fairly deep dent in the chrome strip that runs along the driver's side door. My body man said it may be difficult in pounding it out and getting that nice crease, so I called Max Merritt; they're sending a new one. Anyone ever replaced one? Does the door panel on the inside need to be removed? DJ from MM said it involved clips; pop off the exterior and pop in the new one.

Thought I might give it a try before I go back to my body shop; the trim was a bit costly and wanted to save some bucks on doing the installation myself. Thanks for any ideas!!

Posted on: 2015/7/28 16:46
 Top  Print   

Re: Exterior Chrome Strip
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Hard to say what you will find and particularly if the molding has been removed before.

Packard typically used wire spring type clips on many of the moldings. On doors where slamming could jar the molding out of position or any other place where it was important the molding did not move they would sometimes use one or two of the stud and nut type clips in addition to spring type. On the door, there might be a single stud clip or one on each end so the molding could be tightened against the sheet metal. If that is the case the inner panel will have to be removed to access the nut.

Since your existing molding is already damaged, protect the paint and use a flat thin and stiff tool to work under the molding and pry out. If it seems to give a bit and wants to come off, slide the tool down the molding and try again. If you can do that it is most likely a spring type. If you can't slide the tool down the molding without it becoming difficult at some point there is most likely a stud type in that area.

Be advised the spring types are frequently rusted and will break when trying to be removed. Restoration Specialties has some but not all of the various wire clips Packard used. If you do need new wire clips and they are not available the universal stud and nut type clips work very well in place of the wires.

Attach file:

jpg  (10.67 KB)
209_55b800d12cb33.jpg 154X135 px

jpg  (10.24 KB)
209_55b800e4bb334.jpg 191X173 px

Posted on: 2015/7/28 17:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: Exterior Chrome Strip
Home away from home
Home away from home

todd landis
See User information
If you go to Harbor Freight, they have two sets of plastic clip removers, very cheap. I think about seven or eight dollars each. I use both. One for each hand, and you will be able to slip behind the molding from one side, then a few inches further down pry from the other side. Will not chip paint, also can work on hubcaps, but on those will sometimes break the plastic, but cheap to replace. I believe each set comes with three or four different shapes, and sizes.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 19:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved