Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
35 user(s) are online (27 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 35

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

49 Golden anniversary cars
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
I know someone who is looking at purchasing one of these cars and of course the seller told him they are worth more because they only made 2000 and it's the Golden anniversary car. It doesn't seem to me the ones I've seen for sale bring any more money than their sister models. Maybe I just haven't paid close enough attention. Are they any more special in you guy's opinion? BTW, it still has the original interior and paint in very good condition.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 22:03
 Top  Print   

Re: 49 Golden anniversary cars
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Well, there are Golden Anniversary cars, and then there are the special Golden Anniversary cars and therein can be the difference in value. All 23rd series cars are 23rd Anniversary models, but the special "Golden Anniversary" cars are those painted with the special gold paint and very few, perhaps only a handful, remain with that original paint. So if the paint code isn't "R" for the special paint, it's just another 23rd series Packard.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 22:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
Is the paint code on the data plate that is on the firewall below the front windshield?

Posted on: 2015/7/28 22:53
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
The data plate reads 2362 but the paint scheme code cant be made out in a pic and its a good clear pic. Is there a trick to reading that paint scheme code or another way to tell? The potential buyer likes the car but doesn't want to offer more than it's worth. The seller does seem like he's being straight up but who knows for sure. I agreed to help find out what I could so thanks for any advice or direction.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 23:04
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
The paint code was stamped in ink and isn't often legible. Any chance of an existing build slip from the top of the glove box and/or fuel filler tube? I assume the car is painted gold.

Posted on: 2015/7/28 23:12
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Besides the "special gold paint" and the paint code "R" are there any other features which would help identify a 23rd Series as a special Golden Anniversary car?

Posted on: 2015/7/29 0:54
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard0
See User information
JD, The car is painted Gold and I'll ask about the glove box and fuel filler tube.

Posted on: 2015/7/29 6:41
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Besides the "special gold paint" and the paint code "R" are there any other features which would help identify a 23rd Series as a special Golden Anniversary car?

Other than possibly finding the build slip, NO.

You might want to review this thread on The Packard Club forum:http://www.packardclub.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3439

The only two 2362 cars known to me to positively be genuine "R" code cars are 2362-2089 and 2362-2728; this doesn't mean that all those between these numbers were also "R" code cars, though possibly that may be the case.

Posted on: 2015/7/29 8:39
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

bkazmer
See User information
The original gold paint formula is bronze powder in clear lacquer - it's not stable. That's why the cars were typically repainted early in their lives.

Posted on: 2015/7/29 10:25
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi All,

Can someone PLEASE clear up the confusion I have regarding the differences between a 1948 and 1949 Series 22 and 23? I cannot seem to make heads or tails as to what is my dad's car. Here is what we have:

Engine number: G4246XXXX

The Packard Engine Serial Number book calls the engine a "1948 22 Series"
327 CID, 145 HP, Super Eight L head, 5 bearing, solid lifters
Casting number: 11-17-48

It has a R-9 OD.

Body Serial number: 2272-9-IXXXX

The sales brochure calls it a "2272-9 Super Eight Touring Sedan" however it also has the following description:

SERIES: 22nd
YEAR: 1949
WB: 120
MODEL/CHASSIS: 2202
CARBURETOR: Carter WDO 643S
ENGINE: 327
CYLINDERS: 8
HP: 145
WEIGHT: 3,855
MSRP: $2,802
TOTAL PRODUCTION: 5,871*
PASSENGERS: 6

So what is this car? What is a "senior" and a "junior".

If this is a 1949 would it also be a "Golden Anniversary" even though it is not gold in color?

This website has a fact book for 1948 however it does not have a sale brochure for 1949 except the "Glolen Anniversary" book.

Any help in clearing up the mud would be appreciated!!!

THANKS (AS ALWAYS)!!!

Posted on: 2015/7/29 23:05
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved