Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
82 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 4
Guests: 78

Tobs, Gary Kulp, 39Rollson, Dealer1, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering crossbody rod interference
Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
On my 1928 526, I just reinstaled the steering crossbody link and it rubs the top of the axle springs before full left and right travel stops are engaged. At this point I have only the frame with no engine. Will the clearance increase when engine and body weight are placed on the frame? If not why does the bar touch the springs?

Posted on: 2015/7/29 16:31
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering crossbody rod interference
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
I jacked up the front end of my 526 to unload the suspension (needed to adjust my Pilot Rays anyway) and took a couple of pictures. No steering linkage interference with the springs that I can see.

What I do see, however, is that I need to get under there with some de-greaser...

Attach file:

jpg  (47.72 KB)
42808_55b96eb2c6fd0.jpg 600X600 px

jpg  (42.96 KB)
42808_55b96ebdd164c.jpg 600X600 px

Posted on: 2015/7/29 19:25
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Looks like you need to re-strap your stabilizer as well. Is it a Watson?

Posted on: 2015/7/29 21:42
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

28Pack526
See User information
They are Watsons, yes. They weren't connected when I purchased the car. I bought a set of clamps a while back, but I haven't yet gotten around to strapping them.

To be honest though, I'm a little reluctant to connect them. The car only ever sees gentle use on good pavement, and I haven't really missed having damping. I'd hate to break the old straps or an assembly. Perhaps I'll get them rigged up, but only connect them for shows.

Posted on: 2015/7/29 22:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

rrhorton
See User information
Is the correct cross tube straight or does it have a slight bend in the middle like a very shallow "V"? The parts catalog shows a very straight tube. I am wondering if mine is bent.

Posted on: 2015/7/30 15:13
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
My 34 steering cross tube is very slightly bowed down in the center to clear the oil pan.

Posted on: 2015/7/30 15:49
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved