Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
77 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 76

humanpotatohybrid, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

'49 instrument panel lights question.
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Could someone explain to me how the instrument panel lights work? I thought I read somewhere that they used black light. I looked at my panel and it looks like they use regular incandescent bulbs, but I also see they mount into some kind of dark lens? Any info would be great! Thanks!
Kevin

Posted on: 2015/7/30 20:28
 Top  Print   

Re: '49 instrument panel lights question.
Home away from home
Home away from home

JD in KC
See User information
Regular incandescent bulbs shine through a filter which produces the black light.

Posted on: 2015/7/30 20:55
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The bulbs are covered by a UV filter which is the dark lens you were seeing. The actual illumination provided by the bulbs thru the filters is a very deep and almost nothing being visible purple light and in of itself is not of much use. You can see a tiny bit of light at the bulb locations if the surrounding area around the car is dark. The paint on the numerals and needles on the actual instrument is a white but luminescent paint which is energized by the UV. As you can see from the photo in the owners manual only those painted parts show at night and are a glowing green color when active.

If yours isn't working quite like the manual says, after 65 years the paint has probably lost most of its strength and in some cases has flaked and fallen off. There have been a few who have managed to use a modern luminescent paint to redo the instruments but it is a tedious undertaking. There have been others who have elected to remove the UV lens filters so the bulb illuminates in the normal fashion. While that approach works it does eliminate one of the unique features that Packard and other cars of that era were doing to add some pizazz.

Attach file:

jpg  (33.37 KB)
209_55bad63d63153.jpg 500X542 px

Posted on: 2015/7/30 20:58
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
That's neat, I didn't know about that feature on those cars. My high-tech, space age 1956 Cessna 172 four place airplane also has luminous instruments, that work with normal light (it uses red spotlites to illuminate the panel). Trouble is, you cannot get those instruments rebuilt as the EPA or somebody has determined that the radium paint used is hazardous (radiation) so nobody will touch them. After all these years it barely works anyway, I can shine a flashlight at a gauge and it will glow brightly for about 5 seconds after.

Posted on: 2015/7/30 22:06
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Quite a regular
Quite a regular

kleroy
See User information
Thank you for the info! I actually have two complete instrument clusters. On the one for my car, the paint luminous paint is coming off, but the spare unit is still in pretty good shape. I may try experimenting on the worse of the two. Thanks again!!
Kevin

Posted on: 2015/7/30 22:16
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Scott
See User information
Quote:

HA52 wrote:
Trouble is, you cannot get those instruments rebuilt as the EPA or somebody has determined that the radium paint used is hazardous (radiation) so nobody will touch them.

They aren't at all dangerous to be around. Radium is primarily an alpha emitter, which even a sheet of paper or your skin will block. It's only hazardous to ingest (or inhale). It's the people that painted the instruments by hand that were thus exposed so the paint is no longer made to protect workers.

There are alternative luminous pigment paints that glow under UV exposure but they degrade relatively rapidly.

What is noteworthy is that the dimming of radium dials over time is not due to the decay of the radium, which has a half-life of around 1600 years. It's due to the degradation of the phosphors that the radium excites. If the paint is still intact and not flaking off, recoating with a very thin layer of the phosphors will restore luminosity for some time.

Posted on: 2015/8/2 23:16
1942 Clipper Club Sedan
1948 Custom Touring Sedan (22nd Series)
1955 Patrician Sedan
1955 400 Sedan
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved