Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (63 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

R9 Overdrive Solenoid Concave Flange???
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi All,

Been hitting it hard...getting close!!!

I attempted to install the solenoid in the R9 and noticed that the adapter plate for the solenoid has a concave surface (not machined strait) however the surface of the transmission is machined flat. This leaves a 1/16 inch gap where the solenoid plunger enters the transmission and this gap would result in a big leak.

The attached picture shows the surface of the solenoid adapter (metal plate that is sandwiched between the solenoid and the transmission surface) and you can see that the surface has a concave surface. It does not appear to be damaged or bent...it simply looks like it should be that way.

The gaskets are the typical paper type material so there is no material to fill the gap.

What am I missing???

Any help (AS ALWAYS) would be greatly appreciated.

Attach file:

jpg  (15.67 KB)
84982_55bcff6a916f7.jpg 448X321 px

Posted on: 2015/8/1 12:18
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: R9 Overdrive Solenoid Concave Flange???
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
The adapter or spacer should be flat and only has the paper gasket plus the seal around the plunger shaft. If it is now concave, I suspect it has been installed incorrectly at some point and bent or otherwise damaged. You might read thru this threadhttps://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=9879&viewmode=flat&order=ASC&type=&mode=0&start=0 as to how the spacer is oriented.

Posted on: 2015/8/1 14:03
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Bill; What it come down to is you must bend the adapter till it is flat or replace it, if it is not flat it will leak. Also you must bend the ears on the solenoid back till they are flat across. replace the seal and cut thin gaskets. When you hook the end of the solenoid in the transmission the round area on the adapter will fit in the transmission-if the bolts don't line up rotate the adapter 180 degrees. Its not fun under the car, but doable. I might have an extra adapter if you break yours. Dell Make sure to read the posts that Howard posted

Posted on: 2015/8/1 19:28

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi All,

Big day (again!!!) of Packard-ing.

THANKS for the help. I measured the adapter with a micrometer and the center thickness is indeed thinner than the outer edges (area where bolt holes are) by .030 of an inch.

I will try a rubber grommet to see if that does the trick.

My adapter has all three holes in a line however the width of the adapter is somewhat thicker on one side. Looking at the three flanges on the overdrive housing I see that the center hole has more metal material on one side of the hole than the other (sorry I do not remember if the side is the front or the back). Anyhoo...I simply placed the adapter side with the thicker material to match the overdrive casting with the thicker material and I will report back on the success/failure of this approach.

THANKS for the reminder on the engagement of the shaft on the pawls. I was able to move the OD lever while installing the solenoid and then spun the drive shaft to get the solenoid shaft to slip in and engage the pawl. Prior to bolting it up I gave a gentle pull out of the solenoid to verify that the shaft was locked into the pawl.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/1 19:40
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Packard 1948 wrote:
Hi All,

Big day (again!!!) of Packard-ing.

...THANKS for the reminder on the engagement of the shaft on the pawls. I was able to move the OD lever while installing the solenoid and then spun the drive shaft to get the solenoid shaft to slip in and engage the pawl. Prior to bolting it up I gave a gentle pull out of the solenoid to verify that the shaft was locked into the pawl.

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Neat trick!

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/8/2 10:54
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
desperation leads to innovation...

More innovation today I am sure as I have a big day of Packard-ing planned...

Posted on: 2015/8/2 11:01
Bill,

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved