Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (85 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 140

Ross, John Iaccino, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ongoing Electrical Hookup Questions As I Reinstall The Engine and Trans
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I took photos of the engine compartment prior to the removal and marked all of the wire ends. Sadly I did not take enough photos and/or the ones I have were too blurry (note to self...next time take LOTS AND LOTS of photos from EVERY angle). The markings of the wire ends were smudges with greasy fingers.

On the generator what wire connects to the front pole on the generator and what connects to the back? I replaced the OEM generator with a 1952 Chrysler generator/power steering pump combo unit and the new Autolite generator poles are side by side and are labeled F and A.

More questions to come...THANKS in ADVANCE!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/1 19:46
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: Ongoing Electrical Hookup Questions As I Reinstall The Engine and Trans
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There should be 3 wires going to a generator and typically the generator will have two stud terminals with a nut and washer holding the wire -- one terminal is usually a larger diameter than the other -- and one short screw that goes directly into the case. I have no idea of the layout of the Chrysler generator but the case should be stamped with the A and F near the terminals. Usually nothing on the screw.

A would be the armature and is the larger diameter stud terminal. If your wiring loom is stock there should be a larger reddish wire which would connect to that terminal. If you can't tell the color and need to ohm it out it is the same wire that connects to ARM or GEN on the regulator. The smaller F stud terminal gets a smaller grayish wire which connects to the FLD terminal on regulator. The screw gets the other wire which is a ground. That should be another smaller black wire and goes to one of the screws holding the headlight terminal strip to the L fender. On the same terminal strip mounting screw another black wire should continue on to the regulator where it either goes on a ground terminal or one of the regulator mounting screws. The important thing is ground on the generator needs to connect to ground at the regulator so the two see exactly the same potential and there is no loss thru sheetmetal, mounting brackets, etc.

Posted on: 2015/8/1 20:55
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks Howard!!! I will continue to plug along tomorrow.

Another mystery is this switch (see attached picture). I believe it is for the electromatic clutch however I cannot seem to find the hole it get inserted into.

Any suggestions?!?!?!

Attach file:

jpg  (33.57 KB)
84982_55be3e52c0a5b.jpg 336X368 px

Posted on: 2015/8/2 10:59
Bill,

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
That is the direct speed switch which goes on a support screwed into the block and is located down by the gearshift idler levers. The switch is actually mounted into a clamp on bracket on the end of the support. You slide the bracket in or out or rotate up and down to adjust the switch. Download the training manual "Clutch and Electromatic Clutch" from the literature section for the adjustment procedure

Attach file:

jpg  (28.55 KB)
209_55be4e9940320.jpg 394X472 px

Posted on: 2015/8/2 12:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks Howard!!!

I was successful in installing the direct speed switch.

I also found the Field and Armature wires and the ground (thanks again).

The old generator on the car also had capacitor mounted on it wit6a small lead and the capacitor was grounded to the generator. Do you by chance know where the lead went to? I think it was the armature pole based on the size of the ring lug.

More questions tomorrow and THANKS everyone for your help!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/2 23:54
Bill,

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Yes, the lead to the A terminal. The condenser is part of the radio noise suppression. There should be another one that looks about the same under the dash near the ign switch. Without them the radio will pick up all kinds of noise and you will usually get a lot of popping, static and a whine sound produced by the generator brushes.

Attach file:

jpg  (56.23 KB)
209_55bfa075cb180.jpg 631X555 px

Posted on: 2015/8/3 12:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The noise suppression condensers for the generator are still available from NAPA, I believe the Echlin# is RC-1.

Posted on: 2015/8/3 12:50
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
THANKS AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/4 0:21
Bill,

Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
There is a wiring diagram on this website which shows all the engine compartment hookups.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 21:05
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved