Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
85 user(s) are online (53 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 85

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

54 patty transmission fluid
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

BrianG
See User information
Hello. I'm in the process of changing transmission fluid. Can someone tell me what the equivalent fluid would be for my ultramatic. The manual says type A or AQ. Another sight said type F was the modern equivalent, but wanted to make sure. Also, is there anything else I should know before dropping the plugs. Thank, Brian

Posted on: 2015/8/2 10:48
 Top  Print   

Re: 54 patty transmission fluid
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Type F is the closest modern equivalent and is to my knowledge what the majority of folks use in their Ultramatics. Type FA is also a reasonable equivalent to the original Type A. Though it may give "softer" shifts the Ultramatic was designed to use fluids which did not contain "slip agents" such as used in Dexron etc. though many folks report satisfactory performance with such fluids.

Posted on: 2015/8/2 12:19
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
yes, Type F is the closest to the original fluids. I have many Ultramatics running on Dextron as well. Dex does tend to shift smoother than F, however F tends to hold clutch chatter down more with the Raybestos materials.

Posted on: 2015/8/2 12:23
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

DrewLA
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Type F is the closest modern equivalent...Though it may give "softer" shifts the Ultramatic was designed to use fluids which did not contain "slip agents" such as used in Dexron etc.

I'm very confused here. Ford didn't release or use transmission fluids without friction modifiers until 1961, long after Packard had left the business.

Packard spec'd Type A, which IS a friction-modified fluid.

Type A, which was a specification developed by General Motors for their own automatic transmissions originally released in 1949, used sperm whale oil as a friction modifier or "slip agent" as you call it. It wasn't the greatest of fluids - it degraded quickly, it had a low shear strength, it was prone to viscosity breakdown, etc. When its oxidation performance was upgraded in 1957, the specification became Type A/Suffix A, which became somewhat the world standard until the standard was upgraded further and renamed Dexron in 1967. The Dexron line is the successor to Type A, as far as I can tell, and even General Motors has specifically declared that Dexron III is backward compatible with all previous Dexron specifications back to Type A.

So at a minimum, it's debatable whether Type F is the closest modern equivalent to Type A -- because the Type F spec hasn't been revised since 1967, it probably is more closely comparable to the original Type A fluids in that the standard sets relatively low limits on oxidation performance, viscosity stability, wear reduction, heat breakdown, etc.

It is, however, generally accepted that using Type F in a transmission originally designed for a friction modified fluid (as Ultramatics were) will not do any real harm other than firming up the shift quality. However, friction modified fluids should never be used in a transmission that was designed to take Type F -- it will destroy the clutches in very short order.

Posted on: 2015/8/3 10:59
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved