Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
127 user(s) are online (81 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 127

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Where can I buy a 288 pan gasket - is it one ot two piece?
Just popping in
Just popping in

Wolfstalker
See User information
I ordered one from a place called Vintage Gasket and paid via Paypal but never got it. They don't seem to answer any email. Will pursue and tell you what happens... If they read this I'd rather have the gasket than a refund.

I want to drop the pan and clean it up inside, then refill with Rotella - again. Anything I should know? Thanks.

If anyone has a gasket please let me know how to purchase. Thank you.

Posted on: 2015/8/2 21:30
 Top  Print 

Re: Where can I buy a 288 pan gasket - is it one ot two piece?
Home away from home
Home away from home

BDC
See User information
Did you try Max Merrit or Kanter?

Posted on: 2015/8/2 21:54
I can explain it to you but I can't understand it for you

Bad company corrupts good character!

Farming: the art of losing money while working 100 hours a week to feed people who think you are trying to kill them
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ken_P
See User information
I also like Terrill Machine in DeLeon TX.

Posted on: 2015/8/2 21:59
1937 120 1092 - Original survivor for driving and continued preservation.
http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=16514&forum=10

1937 115 1082 - Total basket case, partial restoration, sold Hershey 2015
https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?start=0&topic_id=6550&order=ASC&status=&mode=0
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Concur on Terrill Machine. 254-893-2610. Small, efficient, and fast/reasonable shipping. Owner Feltz Terrill or his brother Jim will answer the phone. Feltz is a Packard owner and a consistent long time supporter of the Salado show. Prices are always competitive and it just feels good to do business with a reliable human being. Gaskets most likely will be Best Gaskets which are new manufacture/modern cork/rubber composite material. Good stuff...

Posted on: 2015/8/2 22:31
 Top  Print 

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

50 2382
See User information
I just installed one on my 288, it was a 4 piece cork gasket that locked together. Easy install if the engine is out of the car...If it is in the car drop the drag link on the steering setup and be careful of the back 3 fasteners that are covered by the clutch cover plate. My engine was in the car, I used a magnet probe to make sure I didn't drop the bolts or nuts. Take your time and they will slowly wrench out.

Posted on: 2015/8/3 19:49
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I second Flackmaster and Ken's recommendation on Terrill Machine Co.

When installing the new gasket make sure the flange bolt holes are not dimpled. It is a good idea to place the pan on a flat surface, like the edge of a work bench, and with a mechanic's hammer lightly tap the flange around the bolt holes until they are flat. Over tightened pan bolts will deform the flange and result in a leaking pan.

I prefer to secure the gasket to the pan with a good adhesive (e.g., 3M Trim Cement) and coat the gasket surface that goes against the engine with a light coating of grease. Keeping the gasket glued to the pan keeps it from moving around. The grease allows the gasket to slip in the engine without damaging the gasket.

Another benefit of all this work is the ability to possibly reuse the gasket the next time you, or the next owner, remove the pan. The gasket should stay with the pan when the pan is next removed.

Don't forget to remove the oil pump pick up screen and clean it.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/8/4 9:35
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Ditto on JW and Flackmaster's advice. I get all of my gaskets from Terrill Machine. Call and talk to a human! They also did a great job rebuilding the vacuum advance on my 51.

Posted on: 2015/8/4 16:04
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved