Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
161 user(s) are online (105 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 161

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Transmission Aft Throw Lever Hitting Transmission Mount
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hi All (me AGAIN),

The engine and transmission are installed in the car however it seems that the forward throw lever (second direct) hits the left side aft engine mount (bell housing mount) when the lever is moved to the full aft position.

The aft engine mount has two sets of bosses (threaded holes) and I have had to use the forward set because when the engine is mounted to the front engine mounts (Series 22nd) then the aft engine mounts align with the forward set of bosses.

Can the throw lever be "phased" differently on the shaft? In other words, could it perhaps be that when the transmission mechanic mounted the throw lever one tooth off?

Any help/experience would be appreciated!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/4 10:32
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print 

Re: Transmission Aft Throw Lever Hitting Transmission Mount
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Good question. The photos of the assy show serrated shafts and the levers just clamped and held on via a bolt passing thru a groove around the shaft. The question arises because the SM says the levers can be installed in one of 4 positions and doesn't mention being able to be a single serration off so there may be some kind of wide serration or keyed arrangement.

With the trans in neutral as a starting point, you might try removing the bolt and sliding the lever off to see if it is possible to align it differently. When in neutral the levers and rods should place the idler levers on the assy mounted to the block directly on top of one another. If the trans lever is a tooth off the idler levers would not be able to line up in neutral.

Attach file:

jpg  (30.27 KB)
209_55c0f1f0b9b33.jpg 377X594 px

Posted on: 2015/8/4 12:05
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
The lever can only go on the shaft one way due to a wider shaft serration with a matching space in the serrations on the lever. There are 4 possible orientations but they are 90 degrees apart.

Posted on: 2015/8/4 12:32
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
If the splines allow it only in 4 90 degree positions I wonder if there is a combination with the pinning internally to the fork that is causing the problem. One would assume the shaft is drilled thru the center but is it possible the shaft is rotated 180 and the splines are just enough different the lever is moved because it is now in what would have been the opposite to normal position? I seem to recall Mark having some kind of issue with his levers so one didn't line up but don't remember what it was exactly.

Posted on: 2015/8/4 13:09
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Mark Graber
See User information
My problem was with the indexing of the arms as BDeB describes. I was dealing with an exchanged transmission (later year I believe) and Packard had changed the indexing just enough so that the linkage rod would not connect properly.

Does the aft lever line up? Wondering if the arms possibly reversed?

Here are the details of my saga.

http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&type=&topic_id=11730&forum=2

Mark

Posted on: 2015/8/4 13:48
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved