Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
148 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 148

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Windshield quality
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
I have an opportunity to choose between a used or new ( I assume that means NOS) windshield for my '52 200. So the question becomes, are there any issues that may crop up by using a used windshield?

Things I can think of are, haziness, delamination (especially around the edges), or brittleness? As in, could there be an issue with possible breakage when reinstalling the used glass?

That would be my biggest worry, I guess. Any basis to this?

Posted on: 2015/8/4 22:59
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print   

Re: Windshield quality
Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
If it looks good, it is good. Bullseyes and nicks make it more likely to crack in handling if it was removed or handled carelessly. Glass becoming more brittle is not a familiar concept to me.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 3:29
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
I BOUGHT AN OLD ONE AND IT BROKE ON SHIPPING. BRITTLE

Posted on: 2015/8/5 9:34
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Sure, glass is brittle and can break. I remember the size of the package when I bought a new reproduction windshield for the 56 Caribbean from Phillips Auto Glass, the box was larger than a very large refrigerator and the glass was supported every which way - folks that make a living shipping windshields know how to pack them to withstand the rigors of shipping.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 9:57
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

James Russell Packard III
See User information
i got a new windshield . got the new rubber . it was tinted. fixed the rust got at the corners of the channel. put it in three or for times to get it right.

then the punks kids threw a rock at it or something and broke it.

I dont think i will describe how i felt.
but i need anther one now.

my shipping Slip says Solex. which my good Aussie friend says is green tint.
i found a used one seven hundred miles away for cheap. but again.

i am worried about it cracking on instillation. I have done the installation before so i am familiar but is there a temperature outside that is better for installation of a used windshield. HOT out or cold? other tips would be appreciated

Posted on: 2015/8/5 15:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Used is just as old as nos so go used if in good condition and is cheaper.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 16:54
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
Windshield glass is safety "laminated" and has clear plastic sandwiched between two sheets of glass to prevent breakage. Over time this plastic can degrade/discolor(heat&UV) and lose strength.
Glass is also susceptible to micro stress cracking over time, so one day it's just fine and the next day it has a crack propagating on one or both sides of the laminate depending on how it was stressed.
If you wash your car on a hot sunny day and the interior/glass gets real hot and then hit windshield with a cold water spray, this will tests it's "crackability". Wash in the shade if possible or while it's still cool.
Side glass sold now is usually "tempered" which makes it shatter, break into small pieces, when it breaks for safety reasons. Shards are deadly in a crash scenario. The older wreck photos, have alot to head imprints in the windshields from being thrown through the windshield, prior to seat belts.
I believe the glass on my '49 is laminated throughout, as the edges are getting yellow, so for the early models tempered wouldn't be "correct" but safer. Not sure what year they switched.
Folklore sez DuPont had a clear overliner material that prevents glass from breaking and it was rejected for cost reasons.
I worked on some glass chemical strengthening projects in my work daze. We made hot end coatings for bottles to prevent them from breaking during packaging and recycling and the Low E flat glass.

Posted on: 2015/8/5 21:01
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved