Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
108 user(s) are online (75 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 107

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Rear Fenders
Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
Hi

For what my two cents is worth, dependent upon how badly rust damaged your '54 Clipper Deluxe Sportster body and chassis are, you might be better off to locate a solid Western two door Clipper, either whole or body and frame, have it shipped to your state to restore-recreate your Sportster upon.

There comes a point where a badly-rusted body is beyond repair (we have many in western New York too). The only practical way to perform the restoration is with a solid donor car.

Steve

Posted on: 2015/8/19 18:19
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Ok, I'll check around. If anyone knows anywhere to find a rust free but relatively inexpensive car anywhere, please help lol. Thanks!

Posted on: 2015/8/19 19:41
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Hi everyone. I've been looking online every day for a parts car and right now I have two possibilities.

1st one is a cheap 55 Clipper 2 door that looks to have the same rear fenders as my 54. I tried to contact the seller but they must be gone for the weekend. Hopefully it is still available.http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/5566862782.html

The other possibility is a 53 Clipper 2 door with a some rust on the rear fenders. I feel like I would be able to use more off of this one than the 55, since it is basically the same, but there is more rust repair here. This one is also more expensive which would add to the total cost with shipping.
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/5573240950.html

I also talked to mikes55 and he suggested I call Packard Seattle Company to see if he would part out a car. I will call him but I think it would be better for my project to get a whole parts car to use instead of having someone chop one up.

Any advice and opinions are greatly appreciated! Thanks

Posted on: 2016/5/22 20:24
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
You will be amazed how little from that first car will be useful on yours--it is actually a 56.

The second will have may parts that will work, but the rear fenders do not look good enough to transfer, and do not have the right contour at the beginning of the fender bulge. The rear contours of those fenders will also not reach to repair the rust I see back below your tail lights.

I could imagine using rear fenders from a 4 dr 55 or 54 Clipper plus the bottoms of a rear door to repair the fender bulge. But this is all rather serious bodywork to make it all fit.

Posted on: 2016/5/23 6:17
 Top  Print   

Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Bryce S.
See User information
Ok, thanks. So I really should just be looking for a 54 or a 55 parts car? The earlier years won't fit where I need it?

Posted on: 2016/5/23 20:12
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Yes.

Posted on: 2016/5/24 5:54
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved