Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
94 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 94

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Brake Drum Removal
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Here's another source, and MSC offers them as well.

Attach file:

jpg  (84.87 KB)
177_55e1f3b8c2d96.jpg 375X648 px

Posted on: 2015/8/29 13:02
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
I like mine the best, no beating on anything and you give equal pull on ALL five lug bolts, but if you feel like beating on it you have that option also with this kit.
I forgot to add I found this on ebay $165.20, and did I say it works great. I had a three leg hub puller first and was able to get one side off but the other side would not come off. Tried using heat along with the 3 legged hub puller, no help, his one did it the first time I used it.
Wes

Attach file:

jpg  (72.45 KB)
1003_55e27c32095e2.jpg 1024X1024 px

Posted on: 2015/8/29 22:44
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Not sure that little inset photo showing the striking of the end is the best example. Packard said that is a definite No-No because there was danger of shattering the thrust block inside the differential if the axle was struck on the end.

Posted on: 2015/8/29 22:52
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Wesley Boyer
See User information
Howard, how true! But with this one you don't have to beat on anything (Although the picture does show that.) . It has a hyd. unit, you just turn and it applies the pressure to the shaft. See my video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-ecXyqK75o
Wes

Posted on: 2015/8/29 22:58
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
You may be able to rent one at a tool equipment rental store (e.g., Rent Alls). I have done this and it is a lot less expensive than buying one. Recently, I needed a drum puller and went to the rental store where I had gone before. They did not have one. Well, they had parts of two pullers, but the parts were not interchangeable. I then went to a couple of auto supply stores that rent tools, but they do not rent the drum puller, just the pulley pullers. This necessitated me buying one. I found a good 3-arm puller on Amazon for around $75. For as little as these drum pullers are used it is worth the effort to try and rent one first. That is unless you have some empty shelf space just begging for another tool. After all, it is all about the tools.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/8/30 11:42
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

bigaadams
See User information
don't overlook your local big box parts house like Advance and AutoZone for tool rental..basically there is no fee..you pay a deposit...use the tool and return it and get your deposit returned to you.

Posted on: 2015/8/30 12:47
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

John
See User information
Seems like they give a pretty wide rating for the torque on the axle nut. 200-270 ft/lbs.
John

Posted on: 2015/8/31 7:35
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Probably a wide range because you've got to stop at a point where the cotter will engage. On a few occasions I've found it necessary to dress the washer a few thousandths to get a cotter alignment within the torque range.

Posted on: 2015/8/31 9:00
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved