Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
102 user(s) are online (69 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 101

Tom (Packin31), more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: turn signals finally fixed!
Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Yessir it is halfway apart, I just forgot to take another picture for you. I'll document it when I get back to it. My lower phenolic isn't warped so if there is a short it's under there where the wires attach. It's all held together with some little rivets, which I'll replace with tiny screws and nuts.

Posted on: 2015/8/25 21:46
1952 Model 200 Deluxe Touring Sedan
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Well after some switch disassembly, plug disassembly, ringing out wires, and staring at the car with a blank look (my specialty), I figured out my problem. I was tripped up by the fact that this car has only one turn signal indicator light, and my generic wiring harness helpfully provided pigtails off the front turn signal wires to power the turn signal indicator lights. Hooking both of those together to power the single indicator naturally connects the front lights too, oops.

So, how do I make two wires share one light without powering each other? The only thing I can think of is to have both wires meet at the light socket, with each connecting through a diode?

I'm not an electical guru so I'm open to ideas!

Posted on: 2015/8/26 22:20
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

"The problem with quotes on the internet is you never know if they're true" - Abraham Lincoln
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Howard, here are pictures of the switch guts as promised, and a high-def rendering of the connections. The wire colors match your excellent breakout drawing of the turn signal wiring.

Attach file:

jpg  (53.19 KB)
34001_55de82b4af91a.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (79.04 KB)
34001_55de82c531708.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (62.96 KB)
34001_55de82ddd01d4.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (48.66 KB)
34001_55de82f48ae55.jpg 816X612 px

jpg  (36.12 KB)
34001_55de83036d80f.jpg 816X612 px

Posted on: 2015/8/26 22:25
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for taking the time to do the switch photos. Eventually I'll work on trying to update the extraction so the switch looks more like real conditions.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 9:10
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Hans, if you have a 51-54 Shop manual, there is a good wiring diagram there, showing the routing of the wire to the single indicator light. You and also open up the manual from the "Literature and Manuals" section.

After cleaning my spare turn switch, the front right light (orange wire) still wasn't making a good connection. So I took a small piece of aluminum, about 1/8 x 1/8 and bent it slightly in a V shape and pushed it between the moveable phenolic arm and the brass button on the bottom of it. This closed the gap and made the switch work properly. I put a small drop on Super Glue on it to keep the shim in place. I guess what I should have done is to have taken the switch apart as you did and adjust it that way, but I'm not used to working on airplanes! My mechanical scare factor is a lot lower.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 12:27
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
The factory wiring uses a third pin off the flasher to run the indicator light. My generic harness only has two pins on the flasher, so that's out. What I did was add a pair of diodes in the turn signal pigtail wires to the indicator, that keeps them isolated from each other. Now it all works as advertised.

I've been referring to the factory diagrams as I adapt the generic harness to the car, most of it works out pretty well but this was one thing that bit me.

Since I drilled out the little rivets that hold the switch together, I just ran a 4-40 tap through the top plate and used little 4-40 countersunk screws to hold the switch together again.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 22:32
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Clarification please on the hand drawing with wire colors. The last label is slightly cut off and I can't quite be sure of the color. Is that right hand long terminal another Green?

Posted on: 2015/8/27 23:20
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
Howard, go back to page 1 and look at the photo of the switch I was working on. There are six wires total. I'll let Hans discuss the layout of the buttons, as he's the one who took a switch apart.

Posted on: 2015/8/28 7:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Hans Ahlness
See User information
Howard - yes, the green wire connects to both ends. I didn't take it totally apart to see underneath that phenolic plate that holds the contacts but I assume it's bridged under there as the wire only connects at one point.

Posted on: 2015/8/28 10:04
HA's 52 Grey Ghost

Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Thanks for confirming the color. I may redo the extraction to incorporate the switch but for now just appended the Packard switch showing how it makes the internal connections. I think it is plain as mud with no errors but if someone spots something, please advise.

Attach file:

jpg  (96.61 KB)
209_55e0bd073aea8.jpg 1280X770 px

Posted on: 2015/8/28 14:56
Howard
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved