Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
143 user(s) are online (87 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 143

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Head light bulbs
Home away from home
Home away from home

64avanti
See User information
"For purists or those concerned with judging deductions, plenty of posts on AACA about folks who have bought the 6006 bulbs and carefully ground off the 3 aiming "pimples" for cars that originally used the "plain" sealed beam."

Positively brilliant. I would be happy to try that for the shipping costs. Guess I should practice first but it would be child's play.

Posted on: 2015/8/25 20:43
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I drill teeth for a living, if your Dentist is also your friend He can grind the bumps off in short order with a high speed diamond. He has all the tools to do a great job.

Posted on: 2015/8/25 21:09

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
If you want something period correct I have a pair of Trippe "Fog Beam" headlights. These are post-war after market replacements for the standard round 7" 6-volt units. They have a separate lens, reflector, and bulb. The low beams act like a fog lamp and the high beams are like low beams. They come in their original box. Attractive lens design with the Trippe logo in the center. Not original, but period correct. $150 for the pair plus shipping.

(o{}o)

Photos to follow.

Here are the photos.

They use the standard 3-terminal wiring connector and are direct replacements for the standard sealed beams. No modifications required to install.

Attach file:

jpg  (31.29 KB)
565_55dde05bcf4c1.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (32.74 KB)
565_55dde06c939ac.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (24.34 KB)
565_55dde07ca6c71.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (36.05 KB)
565_55dde08ee0076.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (25.39 KB)
565_55dde0a388522.jpg 640X480 px

jpg  (27.72 KB)
565_55dde0b83bb78.jpg 640X480 px

Posted on: 2015/8/26 10:04
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Fish'n Jim
See User information
All I have are 4 Phillips 6006 new in the box.

Posted on: 2015/8/26 20:16
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

55PackardGuy
See User information
Quote:

DrewLA wrote:
Just a quick note, indeed the 6006 is a more modern equivalent. The halogen version, H6006 is more widely available, but I personally have had trouble with the Wagner brand of that part number. They're very difficult to aim properly-- no matter what I did (and yes, I have a Hoppy headlight aiming device), they always lit up the entire road on low-beam and REALLY lit up the road on high beam. Not necessarily a bad thing, but on tours people complained I was blinding them all the time, even after I deliberately pointed them at the ground almost. There's something screwy with the beam pattern, at least in the pair of H6006 I purchased.

I slapped a set of GE 6006's back on, aimed them, and they set up perfectly.

I bought an H60006 at NAPA for $15.99 to have as a spare. I figure it's cheap insurance should I have a failure out on the road. Hard to find a 6-volt headlight at the nearest filling station!

It's good to know I'll have two really mis-matched headlights for a while after that.

I'm wondering about current draw with the halogen bulbs. They are much brighter, but do they draw the same amperage as regular filaments? More? Less? (I haven't read this whole thread, so pardon me if i'm asking a question that's already been answered.)

Posted on: 2015/9/14 15:27
Guy

[b]Not an Expert[/
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

bobp
See User information
Auto Zone usually has 6 volt bulbs on the shelf at normal prices.

Posted on: 2015/9/14 18:19
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

...I'm wondering about current draw with the halogen bulbs. They are much brighter, but do they draw the same amperage as regular filaments? More? Less? (I haven't read this whole thread, so pardon me if i'm asking a question that's already been answered.)

I installed a pair of halogen headlights in my 55 Clipper. Concerned about current draw, I asked the NAPA counter clerk to look up the specs. It turned out the halogen bulbs drew slightly less current than the tungsten ones I was replacing. This was for 12-volt bulbs, 6-volt bulbs may be different.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/9/15 10:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Procedure for replacing headlight bulb - 1939 Six
Just popping in
Just popping in

afsinc
See User information
I have to replace a burned out headlight bulb on my 39 Six. How is the lens removed to get to the bulb? The chrome bezel that trims the lens and canister has a slot at the bottom with a screw. I removed the screw thinking that would loosen the bezel and lens. But, it didnt seem to do anything. Please let me know how to access the canister to change the bulb.

Posted on: 2019/12/8 16:58
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
when you unscrew the horizontal screw at the bottom of the bezel, it should spread the bezel enough to loosen it from the headlight shell. pull up on the bezel/lens to remove as there is a small clip from the bezel the slips into a slot at the top of the headlight shell. Once inside, pull the reflector away from the headlight shell (3 spring clips around backside of the reflector) as you will need to handle the headlight socket from the backside as you remove the headlight bulb (2330 or 2350) - the socket is holding it in with pretty tight spring pressure....you'll see...

Posted on: 2019/12/8 22:53
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard Don
See User information
If sealed beam, you can also get period-looking 7" LED lights that are designed specifically for 6v and will work whether positive or negative ground. As long as your charging system is outputting about 7.2v as it should, they work well. They also have 12v versions but I've not tried them.

Posted on: 2019/12/10 14:57
 Top  Print 

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved