Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
84 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 81

Tobs, CCR, 37Blanche, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

gas gauge ohms and removal (39-120)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
1. I have a replacement gas tank sending unit (8-80 OHMs).
The gas gauge reading are erratic. I ground out the wire from the gauge and get a "full" reading.
2. When I move the float to full, the gauge only shows 1/2 full.???
3. How do I remove the gauge from the dash for testing ?

Posted on: 2015/8/24 18:57
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print   

Re: gas gauge ohms and removal (39-120)
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I can't help with info on how to remove the gauge but from your description it may not be the gauge that is the problem.

It sounds like the sender you have might be the approx 10 full - 75 ohm empty resistance that is for the 51-56 cars. Cars older than 51 used gauges from several mfgs each with their own different resistance requirements.

The gauge reading full when you ground the sender lead would make me think it might need something close to the old and now obsolete Stewart-Warner resistance. There was a recent post on the AACA Packard forum about the 42 sender resistance. An instrument rebuilder answered the post and reported the old S-W range to be 0 full and 100 ohms empty. Packard used S-W and MotoMeter gauges in that late 30s to 42 period. Whether they both take the same range I don't know.

Posted on: 2015/8/24 22:20
Howard
 Top  Print   

Re: gas gauge ohms and removal (39-120)
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Lowell Fast
See User information
Thanks, I'm afraid that is what I am up against. I have a new sending unit for the 51+ era and was told it would match.

Posted on: 2015/8/25 22:25
1939 - 120 ,4 dr / overdrive
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved