Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
109 user(s) are online (78 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 108

Don B, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Power Steering Hum
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I finally got the Monroe power steering actuator and power steering system up and running.

It seems to have a humm when the tires are on dry pavement and the car is not moving and you turn the steering wheel (meaning when the system is under load) however the system is completely quiet when driving down the street or when driving slowly.

I have bled the system by first filling the reservoir up with fluid and then turning the steering wheel back and forth about 30 times and then I started the engine with the wheels off the ground and turned the steering wheel back and forth about 30 times slowly.

It sounds like the noise is coming from the Monroe unit.

Does anybody have suggestions?

THANKS!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/26 16:23
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Power Steering Hum
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
No suggestions but am curious what pressure the Chrysler pump is providing.

Monroe systems needed approx 650-900psi and Bendix units wanted approx 100 psi less. The PS pumps were identical in looks but different pressures out so Packard issued a caution about mixing the pumps up.

The bulletin said noisy pumps and erratic steering action could result if the wrong pump (and thus the wrong pressure) was on a unit but didn't say if one system was more prone to the problem or if it could happen on both units.

Posted on: 2015/8/26 16:43
Howard
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Hmmm... Thanks Howard... the Chrysler pump service manual says 650 PSI max.

The Power Steering Manual on this site is for the Bendix system.

Is there any literature for the Monroe power steering system available?

Posted on: 2015/8/26 17:47
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Section 16 "Suspension and Steering" of the 55-6 service manual starting on page 27 has the Monroe disassembly and servicing information.

Here is the article with the pressure information.

Attach file:

jpg  (28.09 KB)
209_55de441a41cf1.jpg 364X284 px

Posted on: 2015/8/26 17:57
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
The pumps are identical. The difference is in the pressure valve spring 15.867 and 15.844 orifice to raise the pressure for Monroe.

Posted on: 2015/8/26 18:46
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
The PS pump began to drop oil from the input shaft so I had to send it back to the re-builder...I instructed him to ensure the output pressure was a real 900 PSI this time and to really run it in to make sure I do not have to send it back (this was the second time).

The power steering pump had a reservoir that says "Purilator" on it so perhaps that was the vendor that was used by Chrysler. Were the Packard reservoirs also made by this company?

The Chrysler manual stated that the pump output was 650 PSI max so it was either the leak introducing air into the system or the lower initial and max pressure.

Comparing the Chrysler and Packard manuals, it appears the pumps are identical except the manner in which the pumps were mounted to the engine.

On this website is a Power Steering Training Manual however it is only for the Bendix system. Is there also one available for the Monroe?

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Posted on: 2015/8/29 15:58
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Well...the guy who rebuilt the PS pump told me he tested the pump and it produced 900 PSI (and I believed him) and spent lots of money and time rerouting the PS hoses and buying a larger diameter pressure side hose.

Today...I FINALLY got tired of chasing my tail and spent $130.00 on a pressure hose with a pressure gauge and a ball socket shut off valve like the Packard Service manual describes and followed their pressure testing procedure...guess what...the pump only puts out 660 PSI when the ball socket is fully closed.

So now... I need to figure out how to increase the output pressure of the PS pump to get rid of the annoying hum!!!

Grrr.

Any suggestions?

This PS pump is actually out of a 1953 Chrysler Imperial and their manual agrees with the 600 to 650 max PSI number.

How does one know what vendor was used for the Chrysler verses Packard pumps? This pump says Eaton on the side and the rebuilder said that it is not an original pump.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 18:11
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Packard also used Eaton but the pumps for 53-4 are slightly different and larger than the 55-6. I have no idea if the 55-6 pump bodies are the same as the Chrysler pump you have or if yours might be more similar to Packards earlier model. Eaton made many different style pumps.

As Randy said, Packard raised the pump pressure for the Monroe unit by the addition of an orifice and use of a different spring in the pressure relief valve. Possibly Kanter or Max might have the spring and orifice and those could be swapped or added to that pump.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 18:24
Howard
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Why not speak with Lares, they're the experts.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 18:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
I will try Lares on Tuesday. There is a car show on Sunday I want to make. Plus my dad really wants his toy back.

Posted on: 2015/9/4 20:27
Bill,

Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved