Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (93 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Brake light switch- '55 Clipper
Just popping in
Just popping in

Brad
See User information
First post, and I would guess that my question has been asked before, but I couldn't find it.
I just picked up a '55 Clipper the other day, and discovered that my brake lights don't come on when the pedal is depressed. I narrowed it down to the switch (2 wire, not 3), and have one on it's way. It would seem that it is a common failure item.
My question is: when the new one is installed, is it necessary to bleed the brakes? I'm thinking yes, but thought I'd ask those who have been there. Thanks in advance!

Posted on: 2015/8/26 20:15
 Top  Print 

Re: Brake light switch- '55 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
Shouldn't be necessary to bleed as long as the switch is in the original spot and the fluid is below the switch so it can't run out. Which Clipper do you have? If a 55 Deluxe or Super with conventional springs it would have the two terminal and those should be available at any parts store. Three terminal was only on the TL cars.

Do you have power to the switch? In 55 the brake light fuse is the body feed fuse located in the block under the dash. Sometimes the holders get a bit oxidized and fuses don't make a good connection.

Posted on: 2015/8/26 20:28
Howard
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Brad
See User information
It's a Super. Yes, the voltage is present on the leads, and everything else on the circuit is good to go. If I close the circuit independent of the switch, the lights come right on, so the wiring itself is also good.
Thanks for the help!

Posted on: 2015/8/26 20:38
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
BLS, I used to own that Clipper and it has silicone brake fluid. I replaced the brake light switch once while owning it. I guess it is true that the DOT 5 fluid is hard on the switches. Better get a good stock of them. They are inexpensive and easy to change. Or, you can rig a mechanical switch on the brake pedal. Feel free to contact me about the car. Email at 'mail at john w lawrence dot com' or feel free to call me at 'five one two five six zero four six one four'.

Posted on: 2015/8/26 22:23
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
G'day BLS,
to PackardInfo and for including, your '55 Clipper Super Touring Sedan in the Packard Owner's Registry.

JW - Originally posted this, since deleted, in my "Recent additions to the Owner Registry" thread in the General Forum, saying "Looks a lot like your old '55 Clipper Super Touring Sedan. But, black cars all look the same, don't they?" Seems I was right.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 1:40
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Guscha
See User information

Attach file:

jpg  (26.36 KB)
757_55dec18ce0b36.jpg 395X373 px

Posted on: 2015/8/27 2:51
The story of ZIS-110, ZIS-115, ZIL-111 & Chaika GAZ-13 on www.guscha.de
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Gerd!

My ego's been pricked so many times, because of wrong statements I've made, I have to celebrate when I do happen to get something right!

Posted on: 2015/8/27 3:15
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

Brad
See User information
Thanks JW. From what I've read, the silicone brake fluids are killers on these switches. I'd like to keep it original for now. Play it by ear on switching to a mechanical switch. I figured that this was a perfect opportunity to get introduced to this site.
And thanks for the welcome guys.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 7:05
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
The OEM Packard 3-prong brake light switch for TL cars seems especially targeted for failure with silicone brake fluid but the same does not seem to be true of the commonplace 2-prong switch used by just about every other car on the road. Rather than horse around with a mechanical switch I'd just buy the little conversion kit that replaces the 3-prong with a very common standard 2-prong (NAPA SL-134 for example) switch and a little harness and relay which maintains all the correct original functionality. Very inexpensive, hundred and hundreds of these kits in service with no problems that I've heard of. The switch itself and the relay are pretty much hidden beneath the battery and not really visible.

Attach file:

jpg  (74.76 KB)
177_55df3d9322e94.jpg 1111X1054 px

Posted on: 2015/8/27 11:40
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Ages ago we never had problems with those switches. Every time I had a problem it was with a replacement. Silicone brake fluid is an unlikely suspect without a lab study. Today's DOT 3 is not the same as the old stuff. I have a vial of the old stuff and it changes color when exposed to light. Thus, metal master cylinder reservoirs in the old days.

That notwithstanding, these replacement switches just seem to be junk. I used a nice conversion kit from Dwight Heinmuller for the three prong TL brake switch. I'm sure it would work for a two wire as well. Sure I could have made up my own system, but I have other things to be interested in.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 14:53
 Top  Print 

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved