Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
191 user(s) are online (97 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 3
Guests: 188

Dennis Miller, BigKev, Packard Don, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: Brake light switch- '55 Clipper
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
Tim, there is a very large mass of experience linking failure of the Packard OEM 3-prong switch to DOT 5 fluid. It must be something peculiar to that switch as similar occurances with other switches are nearly unheard of.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 15:38
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Quote:

Owen_Dyneto wrote:
Tim, there is a very large mass of experience linking failure of the Packard OEM 3-prong switch to DOT 5 fluid. It must be something peculiar to that switch as similar occurances with other switches are nearly unheard of.

O_D, The standard 2-terminal brake light switch on my 55 Clipper was replaced twice in four years of ownership, and now the new owner needs to do it again. The system has DOT5 fluid. The switches were from NAPA. Maybe this car is an exceptional case.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/8/27 16:39
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Just popping in
Just popping in

Brad
See User information
I've read a good bit of anecdotal information on it frequently occurring, especially with DOT 5. Connection or not, who knows.
Thanks for the input all. Going to drop the new one in this evening.

Posted on: 2015/8/27 17:24
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
JW, thanks for that info. I've installed many (dozens?) of NAPA SL 134 switches in DOT 5 systems and not had a failure that I know of. That said most of these were installed many years ago, perhaps the current switches are inferior?

Posted on: 2015/8/27 18:31
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved