Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
163 user(s) are online (76 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 163

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Ambulance, hearse and other service Packards
Just popping in
Just popping in

bigaadams
See User information
Morning all, been pretty much been reading all threads as I get time and am finding little on the larger chassis altered Packard vehicles. Am surprised there is not a forum section for the service cars. My 51 Henney senior, while built on the stock platform has larger wheels in 16 inch 5 x 5.5, understand that the hubcaps are now in the specialty section, am given to understand from articles I have read and other hearsay avenues that the brakes are also larger (14") and that the rear axle itself is different over that of production Packard of the era and was sourced from a unstated truck of the era and another person said that the axle is stock Packard. Now how much of this is factual...that is the question I am asking. I was hoping to bump into a few owners who have a bit more information to provide on the larger components and their source if as stated they are borrowed from another vehicle line. I have little Packard information here at the house from the era and none of this is discussed in detail. Any enlightenment would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Posted on: 2015/8/29 3:51
 Top  Print 

Re: Ambulance, hearse and other service Packards
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Ozstatman
See User information
Some cross pollination never hurts in these situations.

Have a look at the PAC Website. They have a separate Forum for Packard Ambulances, Hearses, Trucks & Commercial Vehicles.

And another avenue would be The Professional Car Society Website.

Posted on: 2015/8/29 5:03
Mal
/o[]o\
====

Bowral, Southern Highlands of NSW, Australia
"Out of chaos comes order" - Nietzsche.

1938 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

1941 One-Twenty Club Coupe - SOLD

1948 Super Eight Limo, chassis RHD - SOLD

1950 Eight Touring Sedan - SOLD

What's this?
Put your Packard in the Packard Vehicle Registry!
Here's how!
Any questions - PM or email me at ozstatman@gmail.com
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

bigaadams
See User information
I addressed one extensive dialog to you in form of PM and hit send...said you did not exist in this database and my message as written was totally lost.

Thanks for the links...I have been to both site in my search for info. I was hoping to connect with members that have hands-on experience with these modified cars. While I can find part number and such and other data it is not specific, say as in brakes, what is the diameter of the drum and so forth. This is where a one on one is better exchange of info. I am not at all that familiar with the Packard let alone these limited production vehicles.

Posted on: 2015/8/29 5:42
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
You would get answers to some of your questions by browsing the various Packard parts books as they do identify when parts are unique to the commercial chassis and when they are shared with the regular production cars. You will find full specifications for the commercial chassis in the Service Counselors (at least for the postwar models).

The rear axle in the commercial chassis as used by Henney and others is a Packard-made unit, not from a truck. For example, the parts list shows that the 22nd/23rd series Custom 8 commercial chassis uses the same rear axle housing as the Custom 8 series of cars but with a unique ring and pinion set to obtain a higher rear axle ratio than was offered in the corresponding series of cars. Likewise for brakes you'd see such parts as brake drums, lining sets, master cylinders, etc. are often different part numbers than for the regular production.

As noted by a prior correspondent there have been quite a few excellent articles on the Packard chassis utilized by Henney in The Professional Car, a publication of the Professional Car Society - back issues are probably available.

Posted on: 2015/8/29 8:02
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

RogerDetroit
See User information
Now that you know the rear axle is a Packard part and not from some "unstated truck" you may want to purchase is back issue from the Professional Car Society:

http://www.theprofessionalcarsociety.org/store/p11/The_Professional_Car_Magazine.html

Good luck with your Packard.

Posted on: 2015/8/29 9:25
-

1941 Model 160 Convertible Sedan
[url=http://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/registry
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

bigaadams
See User information
Thanks all for the responses but I have to say of the articles mentioned, a number of them I have read, all seem to approach the car from a history and production number focus with some emphasis on Henney the man and his life...not saying this is not interesting to some degree, just not the information I am seeking. Was hoping more for the mechanical or the differences between a coach built compared to the assembly line car of the era...what it took to beef things up for the oh so very heavy 156 wheelbase vehicles...again, I may be expecting too much. Still wishing to connect with owners of these cars who could share some hands on experiences. Anyone, Bueller?

Posted on: 2015/8/30 8:22
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved