Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
76 user(s) are online (54 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 75

Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

« 1 (2)

Re: when did metallic paint start
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
For 1933 DuPont listed 4 polychromatic paints for Packard:

Swiss Green No. 1
Swiss Green No. 4
Bruin Beige No. 1
Bruin Beige No. 4

Posted on: 2015/9/2 9:07
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
I know of an 833 that is being restored. The owner is most particular about authenticity. The paint was especially difficult to match. The original color was a deep dark blue with very fine metallic. The color could be made to match, but the metallic was more of a challenge. Finally, some very finely ground "metallic", that is used in women's makeup in southeast Asia, was located. One has to look closely to see the metallic, and it interacts in interesting ways with sunlight. So at least by 1930 metallic paint was being used by Packard.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/9/2 10:22
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
In those days if you wanted it and it was obtainable, Packard would do it. The answer as to whether the metallic was a standard color is in the formula sheets. Maybe Hibernia still has them.

I found one period picture of an eight with a painted shell rather than chrome. But the louvers were painted fender color.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 16:18
 Top  Print   

« 1 (2)

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved