Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
110 user(s) are online (70 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 110

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Need a photo of a 51-54 overdrive kick down switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

David Grubbs
See User information
I need a few good photos of the kick down switch for a 51, showing the wire going to the distributor as well. Trouble shooting the switch, and photos are a very useful addition to the wiring diagram.

Thanks

Posted on: 2015/8/31 21:32
 Top  Print 

Re: Need a photo of a 51-54 overdrive kick down switch
Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Ross recommended a Napa universal switch to me (mine is missing). It's in my blog for the '52 and very reasonably priced!

Posted on: 2015/9/1 19:54
[url=h
 Top  Print 

Re: Need a photo of a 51-54 overdrive kick down switch
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
I don't have any decent photos of the 51-4 switch. Not sure what you need in the way of troubleshooting photos. It is a 4 terminal two independent circuit switch. Set of contacts near the plunger are normally closed and the two others on the opposite end are normally open.

The bottom two terminals next to the plunger being normally closed are used to open the relay coil ground when kickdown is desired. As the accelerator hits the plunger and it starts to move upward the bottom two terminals are opened to kill the relay. As soon as the bottom two relay contacts open, a slight movement more of the plunger connects the top two terminals together which is one of two sets of contacts in the ign cutout circuit. Those contacts then connect ground originating at the solenoid to the ign coil for the cutout.

The relay having dropped out also drops out the solenoid. As soon as the solenoid loses power and the engine misses due to the cutout, engine torque is relaxed so the spring can retract the plunger. A slight distance back into its case and the plunger opens the second set of contacts in the cutout circuit to remove the ground to ign coil so the engine doesn't die. The whole operation shouldn't take more than a few milliseconds.

Posted on: 2015/9/1 22:52
Howard
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved