Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
78 user(s) are online (59 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 2
Guests: 76

Peter Packard, Ozstatman, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

(1) 2 »

Rear Differential Noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
When I replace the rear axle pinion seal I tried to be very careful to return the nut back to the same position. I had to install it and remove the yoke twice and on the second time I lost track of where the nut should have been placed.

Now after driving the car it seems that there's a noise coming from the rear axle. I am not very familiar with this car because its my dads car so I do not know if it made noise prior however he did not complain about rear axle noise nor do I remember hearing it when I rode in the car previously.

I've looked through the service manual and it seems somewhat vague on diagnosing rear axle noise. Does anybody have any tips or suggestions to identify the noise coming from the rear axle?

Posted on: 2015/9/1 20:38
Bill,

Dedicated to keeping the man who owns one on the road!!!
 Top  Print   

Re: Rear Differential Noise
Home away from home
Home away from home

Troy Taylor
See User information
You need to replace the crush sleeve as well, you can not just put the nut back to the original spot, it will not preload the bearings correctly.

Your pinion bearings are now not set correctly and it is allowing your pinion to float deep and shallow back and forth in the Ring Gear. This will cause wear....

Replace the crush sleeve and torque to proper preload and that should take care of it.

Posted on: 2015/9/1 20:52
[url=https://packardinfo.com/xoops/html/modules/
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good advice from Troy. You may be able to source some shims and add enough to provide the same "crush" on the sleeve. I believe these shims can be had in shops specializing in differential repairs. I did this when replacing the pinion shaft seal on my '39 Cadillac 60 Special some years ago. It worked.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/9/2 10:48
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
If you're shopping for crush sleeves I saw several of them on Joel Ray's parts display at the PAC National, give him a call if you need one.

I can't fully agree with Troy's statement that a new crush sleeve is "required" to successfully do the job. Its been done successfully by returning the nut to it's prior position hundreds (probably thousands) of times, but only if the preload was correct to begin with. Were it mine I'd try to locate a new crush sleeve and set up the preload per the factory manual. If not and you return the nut to it's original position and you have a ring and pinion howl on acceleration or deceleration, you may well of had it before as well and then it's back to ground zero because the preload was incorrect in the first instance.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 10:55
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Thanks everyone for the advice. I will get a new sleeve.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 13:41
Bill,

Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I may have a sleeve for you. I have several that have escaped from their paper bag that the factory shipped them in, so if you, or anyone, can provide the dimensions I can verify what I have. Free for a donation to Packardinfo.com

I have followed many of your postings, all I can say is you must love your Dad.
Are you having fun yet?

DAF

Posted on: 2015/9/2 14:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Packard 1948
See User information
Yes... I love my dad.

This project was fun for the first 5 months... now... I am looking forward to getting this car out of my garage...

I would be happy to donate to the Packard club and pay for shipping... I do not have the dimensions of the sleeve because it is in the car and I am using the car to test and fix other issues.

Does anyone have the dimensions for our cyber friend?

Posted on: 2015/9/2 20:14
Bill,

Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
These are precision length sleeves. Unless you can match part numbers, recommend getting some shims to restore crush and bearing preload. Probably will not need more than .020" to do the job. Torque is quite high - 200 ft lbs plus.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/9/2 21:38
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
Paging Brian DeBoeck....bail me out again...need crush sleeve dimensions, I THINK I have what this gentleman needs, but want to confirm...

Posted on: 2015/9/2 23:18
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

BDeB
See User information
I have some dimensions but probably not the one that is needed:

Part #341792 for 1940-50 Custom 8 and some prewar 120's
length 2-15/32, Big end OD 1-7/8, Small end OD 1-11/16

Part #455671 for 1955 (used)
length 2-7/16, Big end OD 2-1/16, Small end OD 1-5/8

Also have one unidentified that may be #347051 for 1939-48 Jr and 1951-52
length 2-3/8, Big end OD 1-3/4, Small end OD 1-7/16

Posted on: 2015/9/3 15:12
 Top  Print   

(1) 2 »

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved