Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
91 user(s) are online (62 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 91

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Steering Wheels
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
Hi --- Does anyone have information on a source for restored (or original) steering wheels?
I'm looking for the white banjo-style steering wheel for a 1938 Super 8. Mine is shrunken, discolored and cracked.

Alternatively, can someone recommend a recasting service?
Thanks -- Scott

Posted on: 2015/9/2 14:21
 Top  Print   

Re: Steering Wheels
Just can't stay away
Just can't stay away

Jerry
See User information
I just dropped my 42' "K" Wheel off at a place called Backwards Unlimited. They are located in Poulsbo Washington.
They came highly recommended by some of the guys in the local car and boat clubs.

Here is the link to there website -http://backwardsunlimited.com/Home.html

I was impressed with the work they had in progress - it looked very good.

Give Ingrid Ellis a call and she can tell you everything you ever wanted to know about redoing a steering wheel.

The only downside is they are booked out months and months so you can not be in a hurry to have it done.

Posted on: 2015/9/2 21:31
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

su8overdrive
See User information
I and others have had good results from J.B. Donaldson, Phoenix, AZ. www.steeringwheelsusa.com Have gotten many compliments for their redo of the senior "T-wheel" in my '47 Super Clipper. Longtime Packardites and other vintage/Classic mavens approve of Donaldson's work.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 0:05
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

flackmaster
See User information
I think it important to know that my personal experience with Backwards Unlimited was a disaster. My wheel came back the wrong color....not even close. Ingrid said "never happened before" and agreed to re-do. Six months later after the usual frustration of broken promises and horrible communication, my wheel finally came back. Guess what....same wrong color!! Personally I don't think they redid it. NO warranty, NO refund, NO satisfaction.

Posted on: 2018/1/31 23:21
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Joe Santana
See User information
The url for Backwards Unlimited needs the www
http://www.backwardsunlimited.com

I would get an estimate from each before proceeding.

I would make it very clear to them exactly what color you want matched by sending a sample. Usually the wheel would have plastic chunks on it and the assumption is this is the color to duplicate, but there are specifications that are different for different brands and different models within those brands which might be used by the supplier if you don't.

There are always frustrations with this restoration business, but we need good vendors. I'm experiencing some of those frustrations right now, but it's best to work with vendors until they make it right. If they don't or can't, then a refund is in order. However, an alternative service that never makes mistakes can cost twice as much...whether that's steering boxes, radiators, clocks or carburetors.

I'd say flackmaster should have received a refund when it wasn't done correctly the second time. imho

Posted on: 2018/2/1 13:38
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved