Hello and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
140 user(s) are online (71 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 0
Guests: 140

more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

Spark Plug Torque
Quite a regular
Quite a regular

scott12180
See User information
I prefer to tighten spark plugs with a torque wrench.
Does anyone know what torque value should be used for a 10mm spark plug?

--Scott

Posted on: 2015/9/3 11:13
 Top  Print   

Re: Spark Plug Torque
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
See chart, courtesy of the AC Spark Plug Division. Note the comment that the values are maximum.

Attach file:

jpg  (70.99 KB)
177_55e873afddf82.jpg 512X347 px

Posted on: 2015/9/3 11:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Ross
See User information
Just to comment a bit: I always used to do up my plugs just barely tight, like we did on tired tractors on the farm growing up. Flipping through a Nash service publication I was surprised to see almost two pages devoted to this subject.

Their chief thrust was that poorly tightened plugs do not conduct the heat away as they should and a loose plug will run much hotter than its heat range suggests. This is even worse if there is any blowby past the threads as it will heat the plug up like a blowtorch. Expect missing at that point.

A chronic pinging problem that I had for years in one car went away with the application of 20 lb-ft torque. I had occasion to run it fast and hard in traffic the other day in mid-nineties heat and never heard a single ping in 180 miles of less than pleasant driving.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 12:01
 Top  Print   

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Randy Berger
See User information
I'm going to change plugs soon in Best Other. I will use a torque wrench for the first time to tighten plugs. Never too old to learn.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 12:13
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Tim Cole
See User information
Plugs on the 359 loosen up so I would definitely use a torque wrench.

An aid is to look at a picture of the 10 mm spark plug wrench supplied in some of the tool kits. It is a sheet metal housing with a cross shaft for thumb and index finger.

12 lbs ft actually seems a little high for those plugs, but the manual says 10-14.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 15:22
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

JWL
See User information
Good discussion and advice given above. I would like to add that it is always a good practice to use new gaskets when re-installing spark plugs.

(o{}o)

Posted on: 2015/9/3 15:30
We move toward
And make happen
What occupies our mind... (W. Scherer)
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

58L8134
See User information
It might to useful to convert these specs to inch/lbs too for those using torque wrenches so calibrated.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 17:47
.....epigram time.....
Proud 1953 Clipper Deluxe owner. Thinking about my next Packard, want a Clipper Deluxe Eight, manual shift with overdrive.
 Top  Print   

Home away from home
Home away from home

Charles
See User information
Just take the foot lbs and multiply them by 12 to get inch lbs

Posted on: 2015/9/3 20:10
[url=h
 Top  Print   

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved