Happy Easter and welcome to Packard Motor Car Information! If you're new here, please register for a free account.  
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
FAQ's
Main Menu
Recent Forum Topics
Who is Online
142 user(s) are online (79 user(s) are browsing Forums)

Members: 1
Guests: 141

Ross, more...
Helping out...
PackardInfo is a free resource for Packard Owners that is completely supported by user donations. If you can help out, that would be great!

Donate via PayPal
Video Content
Visit PackardInfo.com YouTube Playlist

Donate via PayPal

1940 convertible Coupe Issues model 1399
Just popping in
Just popping in

hughdean
See User information
I recently purchased my 1st Packard,a 1940 convertible coupe. I'm working on learning the car and have identified several issues with the top. It's missing both top counter balance springs and I would like to locate a source for them. Also does anyone out there have any pictures of where they mount and how best to do it, top up or down? Also the actuator rods from the vacuum motors are not attached and I don't know if they work. How do I test the vacuum system? How do I access the vacuum motors to remove them? I have tried to find repair data on the top system and have not been able to locate any information other than the 110/120 Body Manual and the Owners Manual operating instructions. If anyone can help me with my Packard I sure would appreciate it. Thanks, Hugh.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 11:33
 Top  Print 

Re: 1940 convertible Coupe Issues model 1399
Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

Owen_Dyneto
See User information
I know others with similar convertibles will help with your other questions; the vacuum "motor" is the engine itself, it uses manifold vacuum which probably also passes thru a vacuum booster pump incorporated into the fuel pump but when the engine is idling, your solely relying on the engines intake manifold vacuum. An engine in good condition and proper tune should give 18-20 inches of vacuum at sea level, you could check this with a vacuum gauge attached to the intake manifold.

In addition of whatever Packard may have published, older Motor's Manuals have a good section of vacuum convertible top operation and service.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 11:50
 Top  Print 

Forum Ambassador
Forum Ambassador

HH56
See User information
There are a couple of illustrations of top mechanisms in the 35-41 parts manual which may be of some help figuring out where things attach although neither is what I would consider detailed. I remember a local guy that had a 41 with the vacuum top. Operation wasn't that great and required a hand assist to make it go up and down -- most likely due to seriously worn and leaking cylinders. I would expect at the least you will probably have to rebuild or reseal yours.

Posted on: 2015/9/3 12:18
Howard
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
Hi; i have rebuilt the vacuum cylinders on my 42. Not that hard to do, I am sure the shafts have some rust and if they do you will have to have new ones machined. the seals can be replaced. The pistons on mine only needed to be cleaned and lubed with nets-foot oil. I can take some photos for you, but don't want to take out the interior. I would guess the the springs will have to be made if you can't find a set. The fellow who is remaking the bottom of a 120 (see posts)should have a photo of the retainer for the bottom of the spring. i am getting my 42 ready for a show and will take some photos. Dell

Posted on: 2015/9/3 12:35

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

hughdean
See User information
I would really appreciate any pictures you might have of the top springs and their mounts. Also the vacuum canisters as well. I am having a dustcover made for the top boot this next week and hope to get some information from the upholstery shop.

Posted on: 2015/9/5 11:41
 Top  Print 

Home away from home
Home away from home

Dell
See User information
I will try to send photos- if you can receive text give me your number as it is faster. dell

Attach file:

jpg  (53.82 KB)
1697_55ebb7c51efe9.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (43.91 KB)
1697_55ebb82532dc3.jpg 960X1280 px

jpg  (37.59 KB)
1697_55ebb83662a71.jpg 960X1280 px

Posted on: 2015/9/5 22:51

35-1200 touring sedan
42-110 convertible coupe
48-2293 station sedan
 Top  Print 

Just popping in
Just popping in

hughdean
See User information
The pictures a re great and VERY helpful. Thanks much. Should need to reach me my cell is 318 422 5541. I can receive text. Hugh Dean

Posted on: 2015/9/6 14:12
 Top  Print 

Search
Recent Photos
Photo of the Day
Recent Registry
Website Comments or Questions?? Click Here Copyright 2006-2024, PackardInfo.com All Rights Reserved